MissionComputer: The Saga Continues

In the star map editor, do you mean?

Yes, sorry for the unclear comment.

I think another idea would be that the shan editor could upload the ship graphic. Then red X's could signify the weapon ports. This would be a lot easier then guessing and checking, especially for 2/3 view ships.

QUOTE (IT 000 @ Mar 11 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think another idea would be that the shan editor could upload the ship graphic. Then red X's could signify the weapon ports. This would be a lot easier then guessing and checking, especially for 2/3 view ships.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'uploading' the graphic, but currently MissionComputer doesn't have a shän editor other than a simple template script. It's the last EV resource type without a real editor, hence the occasional comments that it ought to have one. I agree, but it isn't going to happen fast.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Feb 25 2009, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, it looks like you're getting that same preferences problem too. I'll try to get version 4.0.5 up shortly, but in the mean time you can try deleting your MissionComputer preferences file.

I've tried to reopen MC after at least a month of not touching it, but I got this same error, too. What and where is the preferences file?

~/Library/Preferences/MissionComputer Preferences.xml

Alright, thanks, that did it.

Having caught the non-saving bug twice now (once while in the wëap editor and once while editing a dësc via the öutf editor), I can say (with a degree of caution) that it is , as you thought, just not flagging as saved, as both times the changes were still there when I re-opened the plug. Of course, you can't really prove a negative, but I'm certainly satisfied with my statistically insignificant sample size of two. 😄

(edit)One final thought, when I was getting the "Aid the Voinians!" problem, I got it to work by replacing the app itself, not the prefs. Not sure if that means anything to you (god knows it means nothing to me) but thought you may like to know.

This post has been edited by Archon : 20 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Archon @ Mar 20 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having caught the non-saving bug twice now (once while in the wëap editor and once while editing a dësc via the öutf editor), I can say (with a degree of caution) that it is , as you thought, just not flagging as saved, as both times the changes were still there when I re-opened the plug. Of course, you can't really prove a negative, but I'm certainly satisfied with my statistically insignificant sample size of two. 😄

Okay, thanks – that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

One of my govts used to have a 'disable request assistance' check. I removed it a while ago but it's not registering in the game.

QUOTE (IT 000 @ Mar 24 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of my govts used to have a 'disable request assistance' check. I removed it a while ago but it's not registering in the game.

I can't find anything wrong in the code – unless the actual checkbox is turning back on, then I don't think it can be MissionComputer's fault. Could there be something else in your plug-in that's confusing the engine, or causing this behaviour?

The button is there, it's just when I press it in it goes green and doesn't come back out (I'm using EV) and the ship doesn't respond. Any past versions that had this problem? I've been working on this plug since 3.3.3

If by 'EV', you mean one of the many ports of the original scenario to EV Nova , I suppose it's possible that the port's modifications to the dialogue box are causing the problem. Try temporarily restoring the appropriate DITL and DLOG resources from EV Nova 's base scenario, and see if that fixes the problem.

I can't see anything wrong with the code for reading and writing this value, and in any case it's highly unlikely that anything could go wrong without causing the check-box in MissionComputer to change its value. And if the value is being written and read correctly, then it isn't anything to do with MissionComputer.

Hey.
I just recently got an old iBook with OSX. I grew up on Macs but haven't used them since OS8, so I'm still trying to get used to the changes. I'm trying to use Mission Computer, but I can't find the resource files for EVN..
If anyone could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

QUOTE (Scurvy @ Apr 4 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to use Mission Computer, but I can't find the resource files for EVN..
If anyone could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi, and welcome to the boards! The latest version of EV Nova stores its data files inside the application bundle. To open it up, Control-click the game's icon, and choose 'Show Package Contents'. It will open up just like a folder, and then you can navigate to the Resources section. MissionComputer supports the new format used by this version everywhere essential, though it's still a bit awkward in places; it will be better in the next update.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Apr 4 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, and welcome to the boards! The latest version of EV Nova stores its data files inside the application bundle. To open it up, Control-click the game's icon, and choose 'Show Package Contents'. It will open up just like a folder, and then you can navigate to the Resources section. MissionComputer supports the new format used by this version everywhere essential, though it's still a bit awkward in places; it will be better in the next update.

Ohh, alright. Thanks so much. I figured it would be something simple..
And thanks for making such a great tool. 🙂

You're welcome! 🙂

I think I broke it again. :unsure:

I was going back and forth between a few different files (two Anathema data files and one Nova data file), and I started getting strange behavior from mouse-clicks. I closed the windows and dumped back into the MC browser, at which point I discovered that it was doing that strange inverted mouse click thing where mousing over a resource selects it, moving the mouse over several (not clicking) drag-selects, and clicking deselects everything (for a moment). I turned the mouse off and back on, quit out of MC, and opened up a few more programs to try to locate the problem. All other apps seem to work fine, and quitting/restarting the mouse didn't help. I would restart, but I'm 91 hours into a probably 150-hour render (splash screen v2.0 grrrrr) and because Strata's suspend/resume rendering function is finicky, I'd rather not chance it.

I should also mention that I did divide up the data files after the last set of errors. I also re-downloaded MC and trashed the prefs just to be sure.

(edit)Oh yeah, I forgot the important part. After re-opening the files (after restarting the app) I closed them again and got the following message: "MissionComputer has encountered a nil object error in the DocWindow:FileClose routine that prevents it from running. An additional error was encountered while trying to display this message.
"If this problem continues, please report these details on the EV Developer's Corner."

It happened twice, so I figured I'd do what you said and post them. 😉

This post has been edited by Archon : 06 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hmm... I've never seen anything like that with the mouse. Let me know if it keeps happening after you restart.

Just tried it out; it seems to be working fine again. I can't think what would have gotten it working, other than maybe the hard drive spinning down while I was away. I'll keep you posted if I figure anything else out.

This post has been edited by Archon : 06 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

If by 'EV', you mean one of the many ports of the original scenario to EV Nova, I suppose it's possible that the port's modifications to the dialogue box are causing the problem. Try temporarily restoring the appropriate DITL and DLOG resources from EV Nova's base scenario, and see if that fixes the problem.

It only doesn't work for the govt that once had the 'disable request assistance' button, all others work fine.

Can you post a plug-in containing just the affected resource, and one which works properly?