EV Data?

I've gone and forgotten where EV Data is, trying to set up MissionComputer on my new macbook, but I can't remember where EV Data is, and Spotlight can't find it. Where is it usually?

Welcome to the boards!

In the first two games and in EV Nova prior to version 1.1, the data was all in the same folder as the application, but in EV Nova 1.1 it’s been moved inside the application bundle. To locate the data files, you’ll need to control-click the game and choose ‘Show Package Contents’, then navigate through to the Resources folder. They’re also in a new format, which isn’t compatible with any other version of the game.

The good news is that if you put ‘EV Nova.app’ into your Applications folder, the current version of MissionComputer should be able to automatically detect the data files, and set its own preferences accordingly.

This should cover everything you need for EV Nova. If you aren’t developing for Escape Velocity and EV Override (unlikely, since modern computers can’t even run them), then you can ignore EV Data and Override Data 1/2.

@david-arthur, on 27 April 2011 - 09:44 PM, said in EV Data?:

Welcome to the boards!

In the first two games and in EV Nova prior to version 1.1, the data was all in the same folder as the application, but in EV Nova 1.1 it’s been moved inside the application bundle. To locate the data files, you’ll need to control-click the game and choose ‘Show Package Contents’, then navigate through to the Resources folder. They’re also in a new format, which isn’t compatible with any other version of the game.

The good news is that if you put ‘EV Nova.app’ into your Applications folder, the current version of MissionComputer should be able to automatically detect the data files, and set its own preferences accordingly.

This should cover everything you need for EV Nova. If you aren’t developing for Escape Velocity and EV Override (unlikely, since modern computers can’t even run them), then you can ignore EV Data and Override Data 1/2.

I'd earlier looked at Nova's package contents, hoping I'd find it there, but the Resources folder is empty. I'd dropped the app into the Applications folder as instructed, but Missioncomputer doesn't automatically find them like you said.

What version of EV Nova do you have? If it’s 1.1, there should be a ‘Nova Files’ folder in there along with the various icons and text files, but even in the earlier versions I would expect some support files.

It's 1.1.
Still can't find it, but I imported the nova files from the old computer and used those, so I'm good for now, thanks.

This is what I see when I open the Resources folder within ‘EV Nova.app’; the ‘Nova Files’ folder is where the data files are. Am I understanding correctly that you get an entirely empty folder?

Attached File EV-Nova-1.1-Resources.png (82.43K)
Number of downloads: 15

so...... If I want to use the resource copier in Mission Computer... but can't open up the data files with it.... how do I actually get the info for plug-in development?

@1purevengeance1, on 25 October 2012 - 05:48 PM, said in EV Data?:

so...... If I want to use the resource copier in Mission Computer... but can't open up the data files with it.... how do I actually get the info for plug-in development?

MissionComputer itself can open files in the new format. It's only the Resource Copier subutility that doesn't support them; it was always rather peripheral to the task of plug-in development, and its importance was drastically reduced when the main editor gained the ability to copy and paste resources in bulk. Must drag one of the new data files onto MissionComputer, and it should open fine.

@david-arthur, on 25 October 2012 - 10:42 PM, said in EV Data?:

...when the main editor gained the ability to copy and paste resources in bulk...

That right there just blew my mind haha. Now I know 😛

Thanks for that tidbit.