Can't buy it...so what now?

OK...so I want to play this game more than the demo levels (level 20 in the demo is getting boring) and it won't let us buy it.

It runs fine in OS 9 (which is my OS at work) so why can't I purchase it?

Why not just pull it completely from the site? or make it freeware until it gets fixed in 10?
Do something so we can have more than a demo!

HELP!

I understand your frustration. AmbrosiaSW has assured us that something is being done. This has all been rehashed in other threads. You can either be patient for the fix or find another outlet for your energy. As of right now, there are no better choices.

Rubber Ducky, on Mar 22 2005, 10:54 AM, said:

I understand your frustration. AmbrosiaSW has assured us that something is being done. This has all been rehashed in other threads. You can either be patient for the fix or find another outlet for your energy. As of right now, there are no better choices.
View Post

When was the last time they reassured us? It's been over a year and I'm wondering if the project's been put on the back burner. I'd just like to hear something....

I'm really itching to play more, too. I got the demo and now I'm hooked. Works fine in OS9 so I don't see why I just can't have a code. It is functional for a portion of the consumers. Software like that is sold all the time--just think of how many times you've had to upgrade your computer because you didn't have enough RAM or the right graphics card or OS 10.1 instead of 10.2 or whatever. I see no valid reason to withhold licensing codes from the segment of the user population that has no hang-ups about the incompatibility issues. There's always going to be someone who won't be able to use an application for some reason or another.

--Melissa

And from what I have heard, all you have to do is tell it to open in classic, and it runs just fine.
So, technically, everyone should be able to play it that has classic mode.

All I run at work is OS 9 (outdated school) so I obviously have no issues with the game running.

WE WANT CODES! WE WANT CODES! WE WANT CODES! ...

However you want to give them to us is fine...free or for $25. Or, since it is 'not working right' how about selling it for $10! Bad code discount or something like that! 😄

Lissbirds, on Mar 24 2005, 06:48 PM, said:

When was the last time they reassured us? It's been over a year and I'm wondering if the project's been put on the back burner. I'd just like to hear something....

I'm really itching to play more, too. I got the demo and now I'm hooked. Works fine in OS9 so I don't see why I just can't have a code. It is functional for a portion of the consumers. Software like that is sold all the time--just think of how many times you've had to upgrade your computer because you didn't have enough RAM or the right graphics card or OS 10.1 instead of 10.2 or whatever. I see no valid reason to withhold licensing codes from the segment of the user population that has no hang-ups about the incompatibility issues. There's always going to be someone who won't be able to use an application for some reason or another.

--Melissa
View Post

Lissbirds, on Mar 24 2005, 10:48 PM, said:

When was the last time they reassured us?
View Post

Official words:

David Dunham, on Feb 7 2005, 11:22 AM, said:

We will be working on the update in house shortly.
View Post

Not quite official words:

pipeline, on Feb 24 2005, 05:03 PM, said:

I can't say too much (not my place), but I will say that Windows Nova is on the to-do list for Ambrosia's coding team, but there are other things that take priority at the moment -- number one a ColdStone/PoG update that has been very long awaited.

Dave
View Post

If these credible gentlemen are correct, work on Coldstone/PoG updates should already be underway. I can understand fully that if you have a computer which can play the demo you would like to explore the rest of the game, however, AmbrosiaSW has decided correctly not to issue registrations for software which is defective in some areas.

Incidentally, if and when (emphasis on when) the update is available, you will probably want to start a new character. Getting up to level 20 or so without increasing your vitality is leaving your character with less stamina than you would normally be able to attain. This will make a difference when you face some of the more advanced creatures.

Thanks for giving us a better idea of the date--now that the project sounds current again I can rest easy.

--Melissa

I can accept the fact it'll take them a while to fix this game, especially because they don't have help from the developers (Beenox). However, I'm frustrated that they won't let people register it. Sure, it's buggy and all, but I'd enjoy a buggy full version of this more than a buggy demo version! I just don't see the reason we can't register it.

when all is aid and done... I WILL PLAY POG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it means my life!!!!!! :ninja: ((kidding! :laugh: ))

Lord Seth, on Mar 26 2005, 02:15 PM, said:

I can accept the fact it'll take them a while to fix this game, especially because they don't have help from the developers (Beenox). However, I'm frustrated that they won't let people register it. Sure, it's buggy and all, but I'd enjoy a buggy full version of this more than a buggy demo version! I just don't see the reason we can't register it.
View Post

Well there are several problems with this theory:

for the main reason, you will have to think of people other than yourself:
A very large number of people use the most recent OS... panther, the game simply doesn't work for them, PERIOD. Thus, it would be best from ambrosia to release it so that everyone can play it, not just those who are running older systems.

Also, the bugs are bad, and there would be little support for them if it was released now. Simply because most of the attention at the moment is being focused on getting a version that works for everybody.

any news on If and when the new version comes out, will people who already paid for Coldstone or PoG have to buy it again?

An update should be free. You've already paid for something which doesn't work.

I think I have a pretty good idea:
Make the only possible registry method via www, then insert a page before the page where you enter the payment information that says in large capital letters something like:
For your own benefit please read the following short message:
The game that you are registering is full of bugs that you will likely encounter, and we will not provide tech support for, also, the game does not run on Mac OS X _________ (or whatever the problem is exactly). We plan on fixing these problems eventually, but please be warned that you are paying for a product which you must run in Mac OS classic, and that contains bugs, and that we will not provide tach support for. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Then, anyone who pays knows what they are getting, no one will be anymore pissed off than they are now, and many people will be much more happy. Ambrosia can then keep working on the patch, so that those who want a bugless copy can get one eventually. If Ambrosia has removed PoG in order to protect their reputation then they can through in something about this case being a unique one and is completely unrelated to any products other than CS and PoG.

So, now tell please why they can't do this. Actually, I hope that there is no reason, and that I, the lowly consumer, may eventually be able to give money to these people who seem to be intent on not getting as much money as they easily could. Please, let me pay you a couple hours wages for some some numbers and letters!

Of course, I do not mean any offense to anyone, and if anything I wrote offends anyone, please assume that I was being sarcastic. Thankyou.

A new OS (10.4) is due out in about three days (April 29th.) I'm taking a wild guess that Dominic wants to make sure that PoG runs with the latest system. I have really no idea how much, or little, progress they have actually made. However, it seems to me that this would be a bad time to make the original version of PoG available. Hang in there a little longer, Llythiumn. 🙂

Sigh, I'm a PoG addict and I'm still waiting for the "cure" for it...More than a year and I NEED to KNOW WHEN is the bugs etc gonna be fixed? The other people are right, Playing in demo after level 10 is getting bored! I can't even play OUT there beyond the " Unregistered copy! I registered and still Twiddling wy thumbs.....
so...My question is..." HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE STUPID BUGS FIXED AND SO I CAN PLAY IT WITHOUT GETTING FRUSTRATED PLAYING SAME MONSTERS AGAIN AND GETTING RICHES BEYOND MY DREAMS?!" :mad:
Thank you for your time to read this
DrHoney
P.S.
You do know we don't have a bank in PoG otherwise I don't have to carry all the moola I have?
And I noticed the plug ins doesn't work for my PC? Why? :huh:

Drhoney, welcome to the boards.

Please don't shout at us, there's no one in this community who can tell you when the update will be done.

Plugins do not work with unregistered games, but there is a plugin called "Bankers" which puts a representative from the Bank of Garendall in three towns.

Oh sorry... :blink:

Rubber Ducky, on May 11 2005, 09:21 AM, said:

Oh sorry... :blink: Okay, I'll wait until the bugs get fixed... the final question would be... will that take 5 years to have it completed?
:huh:

Drhoney, welcome to the boards.

Please don't shout at us, there's no one in this community who can tell you when the update will be done.

Plugins do not work with unregistered games, but there is a plugin called "Bankers" which puts a representative from the Bank of Garendall in three towns.
View Post

There's a question that I would like to see answered as well: will it take 5 years? I've already passed two of them, so it would be nice to see if I have to wait only another three years, or until the end of my life?