Ships showing up where they shouldn't

I'm having a problem where Auroran warship and trader groups will show up in systems with no Auroran dude or pers resources listed to show up. Is there a third factor that controls what ships appear in a system? How do I fix this?

If it helps at all I'm editing the systems in a set of nova data files, not a plugin.

Thanks!

The fact that you’re seeing groups of ships suggests that you should be looking at flët resources. It sounds like your systems match the appearance conditions for one or more of the Auroran fleets.

Looks like that was it. Thanks - I had no idea flët resources spontaneously appeared in systems. How do you know how often a fleet will appear? I could not find notes for this anywhere. Is it a % chance game constant?

The reason I ask is, I want some systems to be Federation border stations where Rebels regularly attack. I was using dudes for this but that led to the occasional scenario where only rebels or rebels and traders would show up, resulting in no battle and looking rather like the rebels owned the system. I notice the original scenario has this happening, for instance in the Alphara system, where there are just Fed and Auroran warship dudes, but it would be nice to use dudes to populate the system with defenders consistently, then have attacking fleets show up from time to time.

Actually in general it would be really nice to use this system, as I am trying to do a galactic war scenario and it would be very convenient to be able to consistently spawn defenders and only intermittently spawn attackers.

Dude spawning is controlled in the syst resource, Dude Type specifies the dude ID, and Dude probabilities controls the chance it will spawn. Give the dude you want a 100% chance to show up, and set up the dude to only give you the desired ship.

I understand how to spawn düdes. But thanks. What I need to know is how the game decides when to spawns flëts.

I also notice you can specifically ask a flët to show up in a system, by checking the "flët" checkmark in the list of düde resources in a system. But I am asking about the % appearance chance of fleets that show up when they aren't specified by the sÿst resource of the system they show up in.

The most specific answer I’ve ever seen was ‘haphazardly’.

Hah. I'm really glad I wasn't missing something then. Thanks a lot. 'Haphazardly' would have been a hard answer to find by researching.

@martinkuk, on 21 January 2012 - 05:08 PM, said in Ships showing up where they shouldn't:

I understand how to spawn düdes. But thanks. What I need to know is how the game decides when to spawns flëts.

I also notice you can specifically ask a flët to show up in a system, by checking the "flët" checkmark in the list of düde resources in a system. But I am asking about the % appearance chance of fleets that show up when they aren't specified by the sÿst resource of the system they show up in.

Ah, sorry. From your second post I thought you needed a solution that would always give you at least one defender in the system. Although, if you set up the system's reinforcement properties to allow a quick response with no regeneration time, that could fit in with the warfare theme quite well.

It looks like when you turn up a dude's appearance chance to 100% multiple ships from that dude tend to appear. Other ships still appear, just at a reduced rate. I don't get how this works and I'm going to go ahead and just model my dude % appearance chances on systems from the stock game, I guess.

The reinforcement fleet thing is a really good idea. Do you have any idea if it makes any difference if I set the regeneration time to 0 days or 1 day? They don't seem to get called in as often as they should, as I see a lot of battles being lost in systems where the reinforcements could have turned the tide, but weren't available for some reason, even though the regeneration was set at 1 day.

This post has been edited by martinkuk : 22 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

What’s the setting of your government’s MaxOdds field? Reinforcements are only called if the defending ships think it’s necessary.

If the ships involved are ones you created yourself, it’s also possible that their Strength values don’t accurately reflect their real capabilities. Strength plays a major role when the AI calculates the odds in combat situations.

Thanks for explaining the relationship between MaxOdds and reinforcements. That makes a lot more sense now.

I'm actually having a new problem... already: I've created a militia government so that independent systems can have militia dudes patrolling them. The only place I'm using this govt is in the dude resources. It's not allied or enemied with the Federation, and yet when I kill a militia ship, I gain federation status.

IE I can kill traders until I'm a pirate in independent and Fed space, then kill militia defenders and become a worse pirate in independent space but go back to being clean in Fed space. It seems like if I ally the militia with both the Feds and Rebels then they might behave strangely when a battle breaks out between the feds and rebels while they're watching.

This post has been edited by martinkuk : 22 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

What are the Class, Ally, and Enemy values for your government?

Class: 101
Allies: 101, 13, 55, 50
Enemies: 9, 21, 2

This is the part of the game that I am least familiar with editing. The Class is a high number to try to avoid conflict, the government is allied with itself because I saw numerous other governments do the same, and the other allies and enemies were chosen to attempt to populate the ally/enemy list with roughly the same people as the Federation, so that they would act as police (friends with traders, enemies with pirates, etc).

@martinkuk, on 22 January 2012 - 09:58 PM, said in Ships showing up where they shouldn't:

Class: 101
Allies: 101, 13, 55, 50
Enemies: 9, 21, 2

This is the part of the game that I am least familiar with editing. The Class is a high number to try to avoid conflict, the government is allied with itself because I saw numerous other governments do the same, and the other allies and enemies were chosen to attempt to populate the ally/enemy list with roughly the same people as the Federation, so that they would act as police (friends with traders, enemies with pirates, etc).

From a quick look, I believe your problem is that Govt ID 194 "Shards" is part of class 55, which has class 1 set as enemy. Since you are destroying ships that are the ally of the Fed's enemy, they like you.

There might be other conflicts, that is just the first one I found (I started at the bottom of the Govt list since the class numbers were fairly high). If there is a table/list of all classes that would quicken your search and prevent future mistakes.

Recent versions of MissionComputer have a class allegiances viewer (it’s the first entry in the list of gövt resources), although it doesn’t automatically iterate through allies’ allies, enemies’ enemies, and so on.

Thank you! I am going to try a different approach to setting up the allies and enemies for this class that hopefully will be less haphazard. Shard is for whatever reason in the same class as a United Shipping govt I was trying to include and that was what threw me.