apples and mushrooms

plug-in suggestion

Hi, just a suggestion for a PoG plug. In nature apples fall off of trees all the time, not just once. Mushrooms pop up after the rains and show up in different places. In the game, once they are gone, they are gone.

Hi EasyEd, welcome to the boards.

So what's the suggestion? You can get mushrooms from The Mushroom Lady and fresh apples from Damsels in Distress (as many as you want as well as mushrooms) and you can buy the not-so-fresh apples from almost any merchant.

Please tell us what you think is missing? 🙂

~RD

Rubber Ducky, on May 24 2005, 12:53 PM, said:

Hi EasyEd, welcome to the boards.

So what's the suggestion? You can get mushrooms from The Mushroom Lady and fresh apples from Damsels in Distress (as many as you want as well as mushrooms) and you can buy the not-so-fresh apples from almost any merchant.

Please tell us what you think is missing? 🙂

~RD
View Post

Hi, well I'm one of those poor souls who can't buy PoG, so, only one plug in will work at a time since my game is unregistered. I just thought that it would be nice if apples and mushrooms appear more than once in a map square. It's kind of fun lookiing for them, and they are so tastey. I guess I could switch back and forth between plugs, but the Mushroom Lady is out of my allowable map area (I think). Also, if you are a ranger, you kind of like to find them (fresh apples) for forest stew and stuff like that. A large part of the game is seek and find, ergo more things to find = more seeking =
more game = more fun. I guess what I'm saying is that randomly generated occurances might make the game more fun. Just a suggestion.
EasyEd

Ah, I see your problem. The way plugins work, at this point anyway, is that items (fresh apples, mushrooms, etc.) have to be placed on a map with "load calls" at a specific location. It would be extremely difficult to randomly place these on existing maps. Your randomly placed mushroom might be growing on a rooftop or under a rock or deep in the forest where you cannot access it. From a logic standpoint, a fresh apple would not make sense if there were no apple trees from which it could fall.

Of course it would be easy to make a new map which could be explored from the area within the demo boundries which would have regrowth of mushrooms and unlimited apples every time your player entered that map, but that would take away the fun of finding them because they would always be in the same place each time you went back to that map.

All of the existing plugins (except cheats which are not area specific) take the player to areas beyond the demo boundries. What you're looking for is a new plugin which allows the player to explore further within those demo boundries.

This could be a worthy challenge to some plugin makers who are also waiting for an update to Coldstone, the software one would use to make the plugin. The race would be to see if the plugins could be finished before the updates arrive. I will put this challenge on the Coldstone forum and hope we get some takers.

(quote name='Rubber Ducky' date='May 25 2005, 12:45 PM')
Ah, I see your problem. The way plugins work, at this point anyway, is that items (fresh apples, mushrooms, etc.) have to be placed on a map with "load calls" at a specific location. It would be extremely difficult to randomly place these on existing maps. (etc.)

Well, I seem to have opened a can of worms, or apples as the case may be. I think it is very nice of you guys to take the time to explain how this would work, and go to the trouble to help out with new
miniplugs. I have no idea how the game is made, or how it works, I just know it's fun.

Life is pretty much a crap shoot, and my suggestion, in effect, was to throw some random events in to make the game more lifelike. Some sort of "random event generator". Maybe thats not possile from what you said about under rocks and stuff. But if it were, wouldn't it be a hoot!

Waiting, patiently waiting for codes,
EasyEd

P.S. Did you know that there are over 40,000 web pages that mention PoG.