POG demo - locked tunnels?

Hi all - I downloaded POG today to try out (full version, but not yet registered), and I'm curious whether the tunnels are locked if you haven't registered. I've seen the usual message in certain places that says I can't explore further without registration, but what I'm hitting when I try to enter a tunnel is different. It shows me what I assume is a map of the tunnels, but then it locks up. No place I click changes the screen back to my character, and no key -- not even enter or escape -- has any effect. I end up having to end the program from outside. There is no message or indication from the program suggesting that it has to do with being unregistered.

Can anyone tell me whether this is connected to registration, or whether it may be some other gliltch? I looked around, but I didn't see anything in the FAQs or elsewhere.

My details:
WinXP SP1
Win POG 1.0.2

Thanks in advance.

The way the tunnels work is that they don't work until you've been there. I don't recall if there is more than one tunnel entrance in the area open to the demo. The first tunnel usually found is the one north west of Fantrima. I do remember how much it puzzled me when I first stumbled into it. When you go into it the first time, the only way out is to click the button for Fantrima (right in the center of the tunnel map) which gets you right outside the place you just entered. When you find your second tunnel, you should be able to go back and forth between the two locations which will now be identified on the tunnel map. As each new tunnel entrance is found, the new location gets labeled until all twelve tunnel entrances are open.

The other possibilities within the demo area are the tunnel one east of the Learning tree, the Cyclops Coast tunnel (3 south, 1 east of Fantrima), and Dernath (from Fantrima go 2 north, 2 east, and one south.) It is very possible that the tunnel system is disabled in the demo, but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck with your game. Here's hoping that the update is available before your interest lags, because until then you won't be able to register PoG.

~RD

Thanks for the info. It really helped. I'm not sure I can make it to the "Cyclops Coast" tunnel, because I think it stops me from going quite that far. But the others have been very helpful.

What do you mean that there will have to be an update before I can register? Have they disabled registration temporarily?

Thanks again.

Paradigm, on Mar 4 2005, 08:12 AM, said:

What do you mean that there will have to be an update before I can register? Have they disabled registration temporarily?
View Post

Yes, they have. PoG does not work with some of the newer OSs. That, coupled with the fact that there are many known bugs, has caused Ambrosia to suspend any new registrations until the bugs are squashed. The "fix" is in progress at this time according to reports from the administration and we're hoping for positive results by late spring/early summer.

Oh, I thought 1.0.2 was the revised (hopefully bug-free) version. Hmm... after the time that I've already invested in playing, it's pretty annoying that I can't register my version because of the bugs in other versions. I'd be happy to accept the bugs that might be in it now, play it until the fixed version is available and upgrade at that point. Heck, I'd send them a check today if I thought I could just get a registration code.

Thanks though.