Having a spot of trouble

Aha! So that's why my hard drive is never as big as they say. I always just assumed they rounded up to the nearest big even number.

Makes sense on the .rez to Mac conversion. I'll have to make sure that I keep an eye on it when I work on things. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to back-port the Windows version, or at least the elements of it that are needed to add .rez compatibility over to the Mac version, would it? Maybe if enough of us yell loudly, we can talk the folks in charge into it.

Just so we're clear, in the SI system ‘Mega’ (and other prefixes) are defined as powers of 10. So 1 Megabyte should, to be standard, equal 1,000,000 bytes, which is 8,000,000 bits. This is abbreviated using the standard SI abbreviation method for prefixes as MB. You will also see, primarily in dealing with network throughput, measures of Mb, which are Megabits, so 1,000,000 bits.

In computer science it is more common and usually simpler to deal with quantities in binary. Thus what has often been called a ‘Megabyte’ being 1,048,576 bytes, which is 8,388,608 bits. The abbreviation ‘MB’ also gets used for this number, although that is not in accordance with SI. The preferred representation for this number is MiB, meaning Mebibyte. That is the binary prefix meaning 220.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Mar 2 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to back-port the Windows version, or at least the elements of it that are needed to add .rez compatibility over to the Mac version, would it?

It all depends how it's set up. It would mean that the Macintosh version of EV Nova could no longer rely on the Resource Manager, and I don't know how easily Contraband's .rez manager could be ported to Macintosh (or even whether Ambrosia have the legal right to do so).

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 2 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thus what has often been called a ‘Megabyte’ being 1,048,576 bytes, which is 8,388,608 bits. The abbreviation ‘MB’ also gets used for this number, although that is not in accordance with SI. The preferred representation for this number is MiB, meaning Mebibyte. That is the binary prefix meaning 220.

But bytes were never SI units in the first place. The original meaning of kilobyte, megabyte, and so on was base-1024. The ‘mebibyte’ and the base-1000 megabyte were only invented in 2000 as a way of retroactively justifying the misleading advertising practices of the hard-drive industry (which have indeed been the subject of lawsuits).

Overloading a prefix is just asking for trouble and you know it.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 2 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Overloading a prefix is just asking for trouble and you know it.

Since when has that EVER stopped mathematicians, or physicists, or chemists, or programmers from doing so?

Shlimazel, does the Sprite_Test.rez.zip plug-in I posted here work for you as-is?