New Question:Outfit hack ability

Variable drain outfit/ability in place of shields.(see latest post)

Topic Post : Solved

Note: See my second post for absolute minimum question.

So I found a copy of Windows XP, installed it; found a copy of EVN Cartographer, threw it on the desktop. I'm getting some sort of, what looks like, a memory error when I click on EVN Cartographer.

Not sure if Artanis is around anywhere or would update this, but maybe the source code is available?

Does anyone know if there is a quick work around to get cartographer open and working?

-Syrus

Edit...should have read the readme...first thing..."need .net framework"...a fresh copy of xp doesn't have that.

slaps self

This post has been edited by Syrus : 25 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

hugs Syrus

All better now. 😄

Hey, could you post the link for that? It sounds like something I could use, but I can't seem to find it.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Feb 21 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, could you post the link for that? It sounds like something I could use, but I can't seem to find it.

Umm...the copy I have is old. I don't see it on the add-ons page. I'll grab it from home and see if I can get a my copy added. (after about 400 systems it gets a little buggy there is a work around for EVNEW for this though)

Topic Post : Solved

Another note, does anyone else have a problem with absolute minimum? EVN will load, but after I've made a new pilot it crashes. Any thoughts?

This post has been edited by Syrus : 25 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Odd. That plug-in/data replacement file is supposed to allow you to run EVN because it contains—as its name says—the absolute minimum of resources to run EVN. Perhaps you can't do anything because it was never intended to run by itself, it just ensures EVN will run? Perhaps you need something else in addition to actually do something?

So...a comprehensive lack of understanding of how Absolute minimum works, lead to my downfall.

Apparently, it loads a plugin in the plugin folder. Which I had and was corrupting the file...because there was a folder in the plugin folder...that EVN didn't know what to do with. Through some trouble shooting, I eventually arrived at that conclusion.

Problem fixed!

I am now on my way to making a plugin. Yay.

New question if anyone wants to answer it.

How do you make an infinite map, so I can see that whole star system?

EVN Cartographer is coming.

-Syrus

This post has been edited by Syrus : 22 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Ladies and gentlemen EVN Cartographer.

I don't think I left any junk in there...but if there is...it would just be old star maps.

-Syrus

Attached File(s)

If you want an outfit that shows the whole map, just make a galaxy map outfit and have the range be something like 32766.

Can you imagine a map with a range like that somehow not mapping everything out because it was too far? I know it's not possible since EVN can't handle that many systems, but could imagine a TC actually having that many were it possible?

That said, Josh is right. Just make a map outfit with a ridiculously long range.

Syrus, just saw your email, and then this topic searching for answers. I'm happy that these are working for you now, but I should warn you that I am not maintaining Cartographer or Absolute Minimum, haven't for years, and don't intend to in the future.

As forum goers have seen, AM has a few bugs (actually I'm surprised it's only a few, given that I went at the nova files with wild abandon and the digital equivalent of hedge cutters.) On that note, if anyone wants to fix AM and upload it, feel free to do so.

Also, Cartographer is horrid. I wrote it over 6 years ago, when I was just getting into coding whole applications instead of scripts, It's based in a framework that may change out from under it, and honestly I don't think I have a copy of functioning code anymore. If you must use Cartographer, I recommend using it as little as possible.

I apologize for all the bad news, and wish you all luck in your plugin development.

This post has been edited by Artanis : 23 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (JoshTigerheart @ Feb 22 2010, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want an outfit that shows the whole map, just make a galaxy map outfit and have the range be something like 32766.

This will show all systems that are both path-connected to the one you're in, and whose VisBits evaluated to true when you bought the map.

Also, the number you suggest is overkill. I haven't checked thoroughly, but for stock Nova 50 should be sufficient. Definitely 100 is. Higher numbers, in my experience, do take significantly longer to process when you buy the map, causing a noticeable delay. The path-finding algorithm used by EV Nova is not very efficient.

I just came up with a reasonably-clever way to make all unexplored systems in the entire map (or any desired subset thereof) appear as dark grey, so you can see where they are but not anything about what's in them nor where jump routes go. And it doesn't involve putting circles on a nebula, which is tacky and prone to inconsistent appearance when zoomed in or out. I have to run to meet with my thesis advisor now though, and I have a lot of accumulated homework to do in the next couple days since I spent all last weekend competing in a math contest, so I don't have time to post about it just yet.

And yet you still have time to tell us you have the idea and make us drool on our keyboards? <_<

... Umm, I'm not the only one drooling, right? :unsure:

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Feb 23 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, the number you suggest is overkill.

Of course it is. I would have said 32767, but Nova doesn't always like that value.

QUOTE (JoshTigerheart @ Feb 22 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the problem I was facing was not making a map. It was getting Gnostic (in AM) to sell it (I think the solution had to do with a technical level of the planet that was sufficient). Yes it only showed the path connected systems which, is a bit of a problem, but I just through in a fix for the time being. Mostly, I wanted to visually see that that whole map is there...which it is and I am happy about.

QUOTE (Artanis @ Feb 23 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Syrus, just saw your email, and then this topic searching for answers. I'm happy that these are working for you now, but I should warn you that I am not maintaining Cartographer or Absolute Minimum, haven't for years, and don't intend to in the future.

As forum goers have seen, AM has a few bugs (actually I'm surprised it's only a few, given that I went at the nova files with wild abandon and the digital equivalent of hedge cutters.) On that note, if anyone wants to fix AM and upload it, feel free to do so.

Also, Cartographer is horrid. I wrote it over 6 years ago, when I was just getting into coding whole applications instead of scripts, It's based in a framework that may change out from under it, and honestly I don't think I have a copy of functioning code anymore. If you must use Cartographer, I recommend using it as little as possible.

I apologize for all the bad news, and wish you all luck in your plugin development.

I had assumed this was the case on both of them. AM seems to work okay. I haven't added a whole bunch though. Mostly my method of creation is, look at AM...can't figure out what to do, look around the nova files...see how ATMOS did it, copy, paste, change numbers. For that process, AM seems to work just fine.

Cartographer is glitchy, but since I found the old map, and everything is there, it turned out fine for me. I posted the program above in this post. I was surprised to see it was written in Visual Basic, which means I have no idea what is going on, unfortunately; but as I said, it worked for me and I no longer need it. So I'm happy.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Feb 23 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will show all systems that are both path-connected to the one you're in, and whose VisBits evaluated to true when you bought the map.

Also, the number you suggest is overkill. I haven't checked thoroughly, but for stock Nova 50 should be sufficient. Definitely 100 is. Higher numbers, in my experience, do take significantly longer to process when you buy the map, causing a noticeable delay. The path-finding algorithm used by EV Nova is not very efficient.

I just came up with a reasonably-clever way to make all unexplored systems in the entire map (or any desired subset thereof) appear as dark grey, so you can see where they are but not anything about what's in them nor where jump routes go. And it doesn't involve putting circles on a nebula, which is tacky and prone to inconsistent appearance when zoomed in or out. I have to run to meet with my thesis advisor now though, and I have a lot of accumulated homework to do in the next couple days since I spent all last weekend competing in a math contest, so I don't have time to post about it just yet.

I used 100 for the map. I think it is 30 or 40 some odd jumps across my map.

Isn't path connection an NP complete problem? Meaning there is no easy way to calculate the shortest distance (I believe this is the travelling salesman problem).

Would the math competition be the COMAP competition? I competed in that once. Great competition and good experience for real world application of mathematics (on a deadline mind you). All I remember is being extremely exhausted after about 30 hours of working on math in 4 days. Then I had Monday and another week to worry about. Why don't they do these things over Christmas or Spring break?

Anyway, good luck on your solution.

-Syrus

Topic Post : not solved

I'm thinking someone somewhere has a PICT, RLE8, and RLED for Earth with no rings. Okay I know, EVC or EVO...come on now. Someone has to do better than that.

(Looking back at EVC is nostalgic...each different Earth like world is the same, with the amount and placement of green and blue changing, Matt Burch was a genius 😛 )

-Syrus

This post has been edited by Syrus : 25 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Syrus @ Feb 23 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cartographer is glitchy, but since I found the old map, and everything is there, it turned out fine for me. I posted the program above in this post. I was surprised to see it was written in Visual Basic, which means I have no idea what is going on, unfortunately; but as I said, it worked for me and I no longer need it. So I'm happy.

-Syrus

Yeah. VB.NET was a dark period in my life. Fortunately, Cartographer was the only notable thing I wrote in it. Unfortunately, I wrote Cartographer in it...

You could try the rEVisited plug-in in this topic. Alternatively, you can try the Cold Fusion for Nova plug-in on this page. Both have magnificent graphics for Earth. For CFN, just scroll down a bit, it's the fifth one down. 🙂

Just make sure to credit the authors of the graphics in question.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 23 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Syrus @ Feb 23 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't path connection an NP complete problem? Meaning there is no easy way to calculate the shortest distance (I believe this is the travelling salesman problem).

Djikstra's algorithm solves the shortest-path problem, and can be implemented to run in V2-time or better for a graph with V vertices. Substantially faster for sparse graphs. A* works too. The traveling salesman problem is to find the shortest path through every vertex (and back to the start). We're only interested in finding the shortest paths between pairs of vertices.

Would the math competition be the COMAP competition? I competed in that once. Great competition and good experience for real world application of mathematics (on a deadline mind you). All I remember is being extremely exhausted after about 30 hours of working on math in 4 days. Then I had Monday and another week to worry about. Why don't they do these things over Christmas or Spring break?

Anyway, good luck on your solution.

-Syrus

Yep, the good old MCM. Last year my team won the MAA Outstanding Winner award and I gave a presentation on it at MathFest. That was about the total energy cost involved in the transition to cellphones in the United States. We found that the power used by phones has gone up due to people owning both a landline and a cellphone, but we'll actually start saving energy in a few years as landlines lose market share. That's because cell chargers are much more efficient than power-hungry cordless phones that are constantly drawing current. We couldn't find data on cell tower energy use though. This year the choices were to model corking of a baseball bat, or predict the activity of a serial criminal. Thanks for the wish of luck.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 24 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (darthkev @ Feb 23 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could try the rEVisited plug-in in this topic. Alternatively, you can try the Cold Fusion for Nova plug-in on this page. Both have magnificent graphics for Earth. For CFN, just scroll down a bit, it's the fifth one down. 🙂

Just make sure to credit the authors of the graphics in question.

I'll have a look at those tonight.

Oh and I can't touch cold fusion. Once had to do battle with a .sit ending in linux. Took me all day and I ended up having to send it to a friend with a windows box. So if anyone wants to reload it zipped...I'll be glad to download it.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Feb 23 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Djikstra's algorithm solves the shortest-path problem, and can be implemented to run in V2-time or better for a graph with V vertices. Substantially faster for sparse graphs. A* works too. The traveling salesman problem is to find the shortest path through every vertex (and back to the start). We're only interesting in finding the shortest paths between pairs of vertices.

Yep, the good old MCM. Last year my team won the MAA Outstanding Winner award and I gave a presentation on it at MathFest. That was about the total energy cost involved in the transition to cellphones in the United States. We found that the power used by phones has gone up due to people owning both a landline and a cellphone, but we'll actually start saving energy in a few years as landlines lose market share. That's because cell chargers are much more efficient than power-hungry cordless phones that are constantly drawing current. We couldn't find data on cell tower energy use though. This year the choices were to model corking of a baseball bat, or predict the activity of a serial criminal. Thanks for the wish of luck.

Very cool. Unfortunately I can no longer compete...bachelors degree gets in the way, but you are the second person I know who won the MAA award. Which is pretty incredible.

Very nice work on the energy consumption problem.

Say Qaanol, you said you had an idea for mapping out systems without actually giving info on them other than their locations and jump points. Are you going to share your idea or are you going to make us beg and guess as to the answer?