Polycon EV plaguehammer

notice problem when set to unlimited shots

I'm the one who took Polycon EV and converted it to a complete TC (files replace nova files)
I have run into a problem when I created a cheat with the Plaguehammer. In a plugin, I made the shots unlimited. What I have noticed when I use it is that the weapon will fire continuously for a while. and then the ammo will stop but the sound will not (I will still have my finger on the fire key). After a bit, the ammo will start back up again. The process will start all over again.

I am using Mission Computer 4.0.4

All the settings look like that of an IR missile in Nova (apart from different graphics and sound and color and setting for unlimited shots) which works fine.

It fires like it still has ammo, yet there isn't any.

I'm not familiar with Polycon, but it sounds to me like you're hitting the max shots in system limit of 64. Is the weapon particularly rapid-fire/long life?

I'm a little confused. Does the weapon use ammo, or by ammo do you mean shots on the screen?

If ammo:
I'd try setting it to unlimited ammo, then see what happens.

If shots on screen:
Archon's comment sounds like it's right on the money, but I would check if it uses burst fire. You can also try enabling "sound loops", if it's particularly fast-firing.

QUOTE (Archon @ Sep 30 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not familiar with Polycon, but it sounds to me like you're hitting the max shots in system limit of 64. Is the weapon particularly rapid-fire/long life?

That's what I suspected too, but I looked at the Polycon files, and it shouldn't be hitting the limit. Unless, of course, the rate of fire was changed...

I only changed two things
Use own ammunition -> Unlimited shots
Maximum ammo 999 -> 0

I have played around with other weapons in the game and they never did this. However, I suppose I could count the shots and see if they add up to 64 before it pauses

Well, life is 800, and reload is 40. That's a max of 20 shots on the screen at once, per weapon. So you'd need 4 weapons firing for 22 seconds before you ran out of max shots on screen.

I found that I can have 7 weapons and have no ill affects. However, once I get an 8th, I see the affect (weapon fire....pause.....weapon fire). Sell the 8th weapon and everything is fine. I have tried this on more than one ship with the same affect.

I suppose I could play with the settings, but that good. And I am not that crazy about making things fire faster. I was just curious as to WHY.

Ah, I see. I was assuming Archon was correct about max shots of 64. Looking in the bible, the real value is 128. So your experimental results are in line with my calculations if you double the max shots.

So, you are indeed running into the limit of max shots.

You can fix this by decreasing the life of the weapon, which is relatively large, since each shot currently stays active for 27 seconds.

Huh, you're right. I actually checked the bible before I posted the 64 figure. Must have been tired. Or stoned, but I don't smoke, so probably tired.

Either way, statement still stands.