Simple Crön

Not Working

I have a mission. I want the next mission to be available for a short time. Like,

Mïsn 1: Availability !b1; OnAccept b1; OnSuccess b2
Mïsn 2: Availability b2 & !b3; OnAccept b3
Crön: test b2 & !b3; duration 10; no hold off; no start; stop b3

Pilotlogs show that the crön is not even activating, no matter what; I tried playing with different styles of doing things, but I can not get it to activate. Apparently I know less about cröns then I thought I did. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "stop b3" part, but it doesn't seem like that would have anything to do with the crön firing anyways. Regardless, when confronted with an obstinate crön, my first item is always to check the crön's % chance (the default for a new crön is 0%). That's probably the source of more ill-functioning cröns than any incorrect enable bits. 🙂

The stats on my crön are:
First Available: -1 : -1 : -1
Last Available: -1 : -1 : -1
Random: 100
Require: 0
NCB Test: b1605 & !b1606
Duration: 10
PreHoldoff: 0
PostHoldoff: 0
OnStart:
OnEnd: b1606
Flags: 0
Contribute: 0
NewsGovt, GovtNewsStr, IndNewsStr: -1

Now "random," is the crön random, or the activation random? It doesn't matter here. Are the cröns idempotent, or do they keep getting tested even after they have activated? of course that's the case. I don't understand the flags, though. As I understand it, as soon as b1605 is set, this crön activates and starts immediately; ten days later, b1606 is set (preventing you from continuing with mïsn 2.) It's not activated when b1605 is set, which is confusing me.

I did some testing. Apparently, cröns have to be equal or less than resource 639 to work. Who knew?

Ah, that would be a problem too.

For future reference, the "constants" heading of the Nova Bible has the max number of every type of resource. For most, you can add 128 to the max number to get the highest possible resource #.

QUOTE (Archon @ Jul 15 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, that would be a problem too.

For future reference, the "constants" heading of the Nova Bible has the max number of every type of resource. For most, you can add 128 to the max number to get the highest possible resource #.

If by "every type" you mean 16 of the 25 Nova-specific resource types then yes, yes it does. And if by "add 128" you mean "add 127", then yes to that too.

CODE

Part I - Game Constants

Max Ships In System 64
Max Stellar Objects 2048
Max Systems 2048
Max Ship Classes 768
Max Stellar Classes 256
Jump Distance 1000 pixels
Max Weapon Types 256
Max Outfit Item Types 512
Max Beams On Screen 64
Max Dude Types 512
Max Ships Per Dude 16
Max Govts 256
Max Explosions On Screen 32
Max Explosion Types 64
Max Missions 1000
Num Mission Bits 10000
Max Cargo Types 256
Max Person Types 1024
Max Shots On Screen 128
Max Asteroids 16
Max Asteroid Types 16
Max Nebulae 32
Max Images Per Nebula 7
Max Simultaneous Missions 16
Max Disasters 256
Max Fleets 256
Max Ranks 128
Max Junk Types 128

The above is the result of my trying to be helpful on far too little sleep.

Yeah, don't worry about it. I thought the same thing. But I had a bit more sleep, so I checked to see if it was really there. And it wasn't. So I didn't post anything. And then you did. So I did. And then you did again. And now I did again. Jolly-o.

I don't see Max Cröns. I think MissionComputer should warn you about this (it does for every other resource;) how can I get ahold of David Arthur?

I'm pretty sure you can have a maximum of 256 crons, which would put you at a resource ID of 377 for the upper most resource. It's either that or 128 (255), but I'm 51% sure it's 256.

It's 512, I play-tested with my copy of EVN. It must have been much faster to use static arrays, because this stuff is everywhere. It would be very interesting to look at their code.

More likely it was an issue of "more than x resources of that type will be too hard on the computer," seeing as all crons have to be checked every single day, and test expression are non-trivial to parse... It would make a lot more sense if crons had to be manually activated before being used...

It makes sense to pre-parse them at start-up, and the parser is very simple. I couldn't see how the maximum of 512 really makes a dent at all. Of course, there are other things to do when the day advances that might be the bottleneck.

Log in to reply