I've been playing the EV series for a while now, first on mac, now on PC, downloading and appreciating the multitudes of plug-ins you guys made to render the entire series so much more fun!
For a while now I've been thinking of making a story-line plugin/TC (mainly because I'm useless with graphics :D). Not being a great programmer or anything (thankfully the logical operators for mission bits are simple!), I'm just planning to edit the base nova files using EVNEW. My idea is something as follows:
1. Reduce the amount of governments to 4-5 (I'm thinking of Feds, Rebels, Aurorans, Polaris & Pirates). I think this can been achieved by editing govt, spob and syst resources? (Of course, I guess the ship resources will need tinkering too, and maybe even outfits?)
2. Reconfigure planets/systems so that we have Feds in center, Aurorans to the south (all Auroran houses become one), Polaris in east, occassional pirate home worlds towards west (along with the existing pirate homeworlds) and rebels to the north.
3. The story starts with the pilot becoming an Ensign in Federation Navy and tasked with defending south western borders from the currently Moash attacks. (After the first induction mission, rest of the missions come from mission BBS). Then once he has achieved a combat rating of 100 (and is a good citizen at Sol), he gets a second mission (again defense but against a bigger fleet). At the end of this mission he is promoted to Lieutenant.
4. As a lieutenant he gets a choice of: intelligence operations/war operations/resupply operations (using 2 seperate missions I guess). Intelligence missions mean spying/infiltrating, resupply means saving escorts/using frieghters to supply front lines and war operations of course mean plain old fighting.
5. After a bit of time he earns more promotions (until Captain) after which he is placed in command of a fleet (using escorts) and tasked to attack various outposts/planets etc.
(Once this part is done, I'm thinking about various forks so that he can turn over to different sides, but before that I need to get the basic structure up).
So now on to the questions:
1. Missions that include dominating planets... I'm guessing that this can be done by evaluating the specific bits before the next mission is given. However I can't figure out a way to make planets switch their goverment upon release. (So that a recently conquered Auroran LP becomes Federation property). Is their any way to push borders?
2. Not being truly gifted in programming, I'm just using Nova's inherent files as a base, resetting the mission bits to my own purpose. I guess that I'm infringing upon a multitude of copyrights here but then I just wanted to do this for myself. So question - would this be against the rules if I decided to post the files for other (if and when it is completed)?
3. Alternatively, can I use the plugin folder to override all mission bits/planets etc in Nova's base files?
4. I'm not very clear on how alliances work in Nova. Is it possible to not change governements and still get the effect I'm looking for? (As in instead of all houses being one, can I leave them as it is and still get same penalty/benefits for the player?)
5. If using alliances, is it possible to change the alliances? Eg, lets say Federation beats Moash, Moash surrender, they become allied to Federation instead of Aurorans?
This post has been edited by cellinis : 15 February 2009 - 05:55 AM