Problem putting Polycon into Nova Files folder

error causes EVN to crash

"Just Because", I decided to see if I could take Polycon and transfer it from the Plugin folder to the Nova Files folder. All seems to have gone well and some of the errors I have figured out and taken care of.......except for one.

About halfway through the startup, before you get to Intro screen, the following error comes up:
An Error Occurred
Resource ID 0
Code: 104

I get to click OK. I do. The game pauses for a second and then crashes. It has done this several times.

I have looked at the debug log and it tells me: error cloning explosion sprite, #0
I am lost as to the cause. Polycon runs fine in the Plugin folder. Equally, I have EVN in another folder and it runs fine too.
I have the latest version of Mission computer and I have tried to search for an error but I don't think I have found one. I also have resedit and have tried with it and have not found anything. (eMac running 10.3.9 512mb mem)

Here is the debuglog:

EV Nova debug log

Output on 11/1/2008 at 10:01 PM

game engine was compiled Apr 24 2006
game engine version is 1.0.A Carbon

opening data files & loading prefs
initializing monitor
getting available window positioning bounds
opening RezLib
main display at startup was 1024x768 / 32 bits / 89 Hz
switching to 16 bits
system software version is 1039
initializing QuickTime
building trig table
opening platform tool
opening file tool
opening draw tool
opening interface tool
opening registration tool
initializing arrays
opening data files
opening files in Nova Files folder:
Nova Data 1
Nova Data 2
Nova Data 3
Nova Data 4
Nova Data 5
Nova Data 6
Nova Graphics 1
Nova Graphics 2
Nova Graphics 3
Nova Music
Nova Ships 1
Nova Ships 2
Nova Ships 3
Nova Ships 4
Nova Ships 5
Nova Ships 6
Nova Sounds
Nova Titles 1
Nova Titles 2
Nova Titles 3
Nova Titles 4
Race 1.mov
Race 2.mov
Race 3.mov
Race 4.mov
loading sounds
creating window
main window rect: (5368, 302, -1792, -16385)
initializing sprite world
creating scratch frames
creating offscreen buffers
starting music
initializing strings
initializing status bar
initializing objects
initializing buttons
loading object data
warning: (260) lacks outfit picture
warning: (266) lacks description
warning: Draconen Mine Cloak (273) lacks outfit picture
warning: Draconen Mine Cloak (273) lacks description
warning: scanner map (277) lacks outfit picture
warning: scanner map (277) lacks description
warning: Restructuring (285) lacks outfit picture
warning: Mantis (138) has 4 gun-type weapons but its maximum is 3
warning: Draconen Fighter (144) has a trade-in value of 870000 but costs only 480000
warning: Parasite (173) lacks hiring description
warning: Tydirum (175) lacks purchase description
warning: Goa'uld Warship (198) has a trade-in value of -247927480 but costs only -1000000000
warning: Draconen Mine (199) has a trade-in value of 837500 but costs only 350000
warning: Obsopod (201) has 1 turreted weapon but its maximum is 0
warning: Parasite (224) lacks purchase description
warning: Parasite (224) lacks hiring description
loading mission data
propagating mission bit effects
showing splash screen
loading sprites
checking memory
loading ship sprites
configuring sprites
error cloning explosion sprite, #0

Thanks for any help

This post has been edited by Vast Deathmaster : 02 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

Ok, quick update, the error is the same but the last line says "error cloning pod sprite..."
I have noted that the plugin never created SPIN or SHAN files so I created them for the Escape Pod Resource ID 1998
....still the same crash.

I have done a seach for "code: 104" and found a similar topic where Matt Burch replied saying the Topic writer's files were corrupt.... or words to that affect. I used Mission Computer 4.0.1 to tranfer the Polycon resources. I remember there being a problem with 4.0 corrupting part of the rle files. Even though I have the updated program, is it possible that just transferring the resources got them corrupted? I still have 3.3.3.
I am going to re-transfer the rle and spin resources and see what happens. Hopefully this won't be like a blog entry and I will get a reply sometime soon.

Well, it seems I fixed my own problems, but I need more help.
Unless someone wants the full details, I won't give them. Suffice it to say, I have the game running; Polycon as a TC not as a rather large plugin. (and a damned good one I might add)

What I can figure out is the text. Or I should say YET. At the Intro screen, you have two colors of text. The bright color shows fine but the darker does not show up at all. Similarly, in the status bar only part of the text is showing.

I would guess that this is a problem with the COLR resource, but it works fine in the other copy of the Polycon game I have going. Polycon seems to like to use EVN resources A LOT. If this is the situation, then what is it using?

@vast-deathmaster, on Nov 2 2008, 10:03 PM, said in Problem putting Polycon into Nova Files folder:

I used Mission Computer 4.0.1 to tranfer the Polycon resources. I remember there being a problem with 4.0 corrupting part of the rle files. Even though I have the updated program, is it possible that just transferring the resources got them corrupted?

4.0.1 fixes the only corruption problem of which I've been made aware, and I thoroughly tested the Copy and Paste commands after doing so. All that happened was that under some circumstances, it lost the final byte of a copied resource, which affected RLEs far worse than any other type, since they are almost along in using that last byte to store actual data. 4.0.1 no longer does this (although it cannot fix the damaged RLEs).

It isn't clear to me, though, exactly what MissionComputer's role in this experiment was. Were you consolidating the Polycon resources into a different set of files? If so, you may have overloaded one of them - it's easier than you'd think.

Also, are you confident that Polycon really does replace all of the standard game's resources? If it doesn't, then you may have inadvertently removed a standard resource to which Polycon refers, hence the error.

@david-arthur, on Nov 5 2008, 01:39 PM, said in Problem putting Polycon into Nova Files folder:

It isn't clear to me, though, exactly what MissionComputer's role in this experiment was. Were you consolidating the Polycon resources into a different set of files? If so, you may have overloaded one of them - it's easier than you'd think.

Also, are you confident that Polycon really does replace all of the standard game's resources? If it doesn't, then you may have inadvertently removed a standard resource to which Polycon refers, hence the error.

The only role of Mission Computer was convenience. I have a two "it" and resedit.

In the end, I avoided copying using the editors and just created a blank Nova Files folder and put the Polycon files into it. I know from trying this over and over that Polycon borrows heavily from EVN. I've fixed most of it. But the one thing I can't figure out is the two color text in the In Game Side Bar. The dark colored text does not show but the light colored does.

If you've played Polycon, in the intro screen there is text at the bottom. I can get it to display the light colored text but not the dark colored text.

When I run Polycon from the plugins folder it works fine. When I run Polycon from the Nova files folder, the colors doen't work. So far this seems like the last stumbling block to getting this thing to work properly.

-------------------------
Problem solved. It was the STR# file. all I needed to do was copy over certain string resources from the normal game that were not normally in the Polycon game. When I did that all text was corrected. I still have to play through the game to see if there is something else missing.

This post has been edited by Vast Deathmaster : 05 November 2008 - 11:42 PM