Various problems I haven't seen before.

Help please? I still feel dumb...

So I am trying to make a mission for the upcoming Wraith Plug. The mission is to board a ship in a system, but the ship starts out disabled. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to make the düde of a gövt which starts out disabled, and set the ship objective to board, but when I try it in the game, I cannot board the ship. Why is this? What am I doing wrong?

This post has been edited by Jalisurr : 20 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Never feel dumb my friend. That's my job...

Anyways I use mission computer when I do this sort of thing. All I do is create my dude just as I would any other time but when I make my mission I check the box saying the ship's disabled... Of course you also have to make the point of the mission to board it...

I don't know if anything I just said was helpful but I just wrote down I thought as it came to me... 😄

Copy the 75000 derelict mission with assorted.
Add a pre-mission that tells you to go there (possibly add an observe ship).
(alt: something with pers linked missions)

My goodness. Everyone just ignore me. I just realized that I didn't change the crew of the Wraith which I was trying to board from 0...

At least I know that I was doing everything right...

@jalisurr, on Oct 12 2008, 07:27 PM, said in Various problems I haven't seen before.:

Everyone just ignore me.

Following orders... 😉

OK, you can stop ignoring me now.

This still isn't working. I really can't figure out what is going on.

I've tried using both a mission-created düde, and a mission-creating përs, but neither is working. When I use a düde, I push the board key about a dozen times before it comes up with 'you cannot board this ship'. When I use a përs, I push the board key about a dozen times, then get the normal boarding screen.

Another interesting note is that if I try to attack the ship, the game crashes.

Considering that Wraith technology appears to be the furthest to the extent that the term "alien" goes in Nova, perhaps you could do it via a workaround, perhaps even requiring a certain level of work? First, duplicate the resource for the wraith ship that you want to board. Nobody will notice, because it will look exactly the same as the normal ones, only it will not be capable of movement. To ensure this, drop its speed, acceleration, and turning down to zero, and give it minimal shields and armor. Create a specialized weapon with only a single charge designed to perhaps "install" an atmosphere into the ship so that your crew can board it, AKA a weapon designed to knock off that one hit-point of armor (above disabled status) you gave it and nothing more. It's a crude workaround, but it puts some logic behind an otherwise flawed compromise, and it should allow you to board the ship properly.

Another trick, although more complicated to implement, would be to customize the other Wraith ships in Nova to be immune against a certain type of homing weapon, as in, they always successfully scramble it, except for your one target ship. You could design the weapon to fire as an invisible "missile" perhaps designed to activate the dormant systems of the ship so you can fly it out of the system (not really; mission concept stuff), and you have to retain sustained fire on the target ship until it's "disabled"/prepared. By doing this, you could trigger a number of baddies to enter the system and harass you while you're trying to maintain a certain distance between you and the target Wraith ship, so you have to make several passes on it using the "activation code" weapon or whatever you call it, before it's ready to be boarded.

Just some ideas, both ridiculously complicated, but do-able.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 16 October 2008 - 01:59 AM

Except that the Wraith Plug-in makes you assume the part of a Wraith. Therefore, solution one makes no sense and solution two is still complicated...

But they are good solutions.

This post has been edited by Templar98921 : 16 October 2008 - 02:08 AM

Alright, thank you for the suggestions, though I'm not sure how feasible they are, considering you are a wraith. What you are basically doing is equivalent to us checking on an unconscious person.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Has anyone had similar problems? Am I doing something wrong?

No idea why; I'll try it sometime in the next hour if I can. There have always been reports of people having difficulties, but they always were resolved. I will post an attachment with about 3 resources, which may be easily refactored.

Well, so much for "in the next hour." Also, so much for "about 3 resources."
I have created a pers (after much frustration from the dead-pers bug - they really should be filled with 1's instead of 0's) and it now gives me (without too much difficulty) a "you can't board this ship" message.
Okay, this is wierd. In-system disabled ships were moving.

This post has been edited by Nonconventionally Creative : 17 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Answer in under a kilobyte, compressed. Uses mission dude. Contains some stuff you don't really need, just to be convenient as to what is pointed.
To use:
accept "board a ship" mission.
accept "goto system" mission.
Note that "Cargo load" desc appears not to be honored with cargo from ship.

Attached File(s)

Well, thank you, NC. I did get a chance to try that out and it seems to work. It really is a pity about the Cargo Load dësc, because I now have to find a way to make a dësc appear randomly...

Randomly? Sxxx, and if delay desire, shipgoal observe

No no no...by randomly I just meant that it has to appear where the cargo load description should have appeared. I have to watch my terms around here! 😛

Oh, then just Sxxx should do it. I tried to ifdef my statement. And you should watch carefully the terms you use always, not only in the presence of people who assign special meanings.

You may have noticed I changed the topic title, so that I can continue to ask my questions here.

My next problem is with a simple destroy mission. Düdes jump into the system, attack the player, you're supposed to destroy them, blah blah blah.

The problem is they jump in, and when they should be destroyed, they just disappear from the targeting display, but aren't destroyed. They even still appear on the radar, I just can't target them and can't destroy them. Any idea what the problem is here?

Screenshot, please, to clarify "when they're should be destroyed."

So I am trying to make a mission for the upcoming Wraith Plug. The mission is to board a ship in a system, but the ship starts out disabled. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to make the düde of a gövt which starts out disabled, and set the ship objective to board, but when I try it in the game, I cannot board the ship. Why is this? What am I doing wrong?

Make sure the ship the player is boarding has 1 or more crew.

This post has been edited by IT 000 : 23 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

@jalisurr, on Oct 12 2008, 07:27 PM, said in Various problems I haven't seen before.:

I just realized that I didn't change the crew of the Wraith which I was trying to board from 0...

@it-000, on Oct 23 2008, 12:22 PM, said in Various problems I haven't seen before.:

Make sure the ship the player is boarding has 1 or more crew.

Make sure the answer you're giving isn't for a problem that has already been solved. Smite