File hosting

alright, first some help:

If you need 2gb of free file hosting, check out http://getdropbox.com
That may be a good idea for collaboratively working on this TC. Everyone logs into the same drop box.

also, there is now an email address set up for this project which can be used later to register for a drop box if needed.

ossNovaTC (at) (gmail)
pass: (what is the name of the protagonist from the Polaris line, properly capitalized and punctuated with apostrophes?)

Alternately, you can find somewhere to get your files to me, and later today I'll set up a spot on my server for the project. However, I reserve the right to do whatever I want with my copies of your files, including deleting them, and only uploading what I want (which will only be files directly related to the project).
If you have something that needs hosting, post below in this topic with how I should get it, and It'll be up later today.

I'm not always available though, which is why I suggest the dropbox. If we use the dropbox, everyone NEEDS TO KEEP THEIR OWN NOT-IN-DROPBOX BACKUPS OF THE ENTIRE PROJECT AFTER COMMITTING CHANGES SO THAT IF SOMEONE MALEVOLENT CLEARS OUT THE DROPBOX, THERE ARE STILL COPIES OF THE FILES AROUND

Uh, the Dropbox keeps its own backups of deleted files...
I appear to approve of DropBox.
Unfortunately this thing only works well with GNOME. I'll need to log out of KDE...

The dropbox backups of delted files can be purged very easily by a malevolent person. It is best to keep local backups.

Oh.
I decided it was easier to create a new account, especially since I don't really want the daemon running all the time anyway. I'll probably just mess with symlinks and permissions once, and log in on the other desktop to sync.

Whoa... I just watched the video, and decided that I want one for myself. An extremely handy, backup file server is exactly what I've been looking for, even though I didn't realize it. I'll be using this for a lot more than just Destination Unknown.

Instructions for getting Dropbox running on a Linux machine, if your preferred desktop environment is not GNOME. (Tested on Ubuntu 8.04.1 with kubuntu-desktop package installed to get KDE)
To the end of ~/.profile file, add "umask 002" (no quotes)
Create a new user.
Create a new group, and add yourself and the new user to that group.
As the new user:
To the end of ~/.profile file, add "umask 002" (no quotes)
download Dropbox for Linux.
Install. If you get a message about "can't connect to download, are proxy settings incorrect?" (even if you don't use a proxy), download .dropbox-dist manually and extract to your (new user's) home folder, as per This dropbox forum post.
Open a console and enter the following commands:#anything after a # is a comment and needn't be entered, although it would be ignored if present

.dropbox-dist/dropboxd & #start the daemon in a subshell.
chgrp -R <the new group> Dropbox #sets ownership of the Dropbox, all subfolders and files to the new group
chmod -R g+w Dropbox #makes all subfolders and files writable by the group
find Dropbox -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \; #magic to make all new files created inherit the group from the folder
ln -s Dropbox ~<your username>/Dropbox #create a symlink to your home folder, for convenience

Note that in order for new files to be writable for the whole group, you must add the umask 002 to the ~/.profile files for each user. This edit only takes effect on login, so log out is mandatory
Log out of the new user.

You may create and modify files as desired, and whenever the new user is logged in, the daemon will synchronize.