When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction

Posted Image

I don't know why I'm posting this but maybe you have a clue...

Is that an in-game screenie or a shipyard picture?

Er, Nova can't do beams like that ;). It also can't do millions of colours. Nice pic though.

I agree with the million colors thing, but the beam is possible. It probably would have a beamwidth of one.

You can do beams at least similar to that and I have proof.

Heh, go on then, give it your best shot. However similar you can make it you won't fool me into thinking it's the same thing 😛
Reasons why the beam is not an in-game screenie:
1. The beam has a wide yellow center with an orange corona. Nova can't have wide centers.
2. The beam changes slightly as it gets further away.
3. The real give-away: Speckly bits.

This post has been edited by Guy : 03 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

It's two beams; ones a lightning weapon for the middle part, and one is for the corona.

I think that's an in-game screenie, based off the stars in the background. iWant.

Or, I am gullible. :blink:

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 03 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

By that I meant that you could make a beam that wide. I am using a beam width of -6, a corona falloff of 1 and two very similar shades of blue. The beam and the corona alternately flash on and off.

Posted Image
Posted Image

@guy, on Sep 3 2008, 09:32 PM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

Heh, go on then, give it your best shot. However similar you can make it you won't fool me into thinking it's the same thing 😛
Reasons why the beam is not an in-game screenie:
1. The beam has a wide yellow center with an orange corona. Nova can't have wide centers.
2. The beam changes slightly as it gets further away.
3. The real give-away: Speckly bits.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 04 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

Eh, I suppose I wasn't looking too closesly. Though how do you tell it's millions of colors just looking at it?

@rmx256, on Sep 4 2008, 08:23 AM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

Posted Image

What is that green glowy thing in the background might I ask?

Your discussion is quiet unexpected.

Well, to answer your questions: It's not an in-game screen.

But it will be...

@evweb, on Sep 4 2008, 01:14 PM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

What is that green glowy thing in the background might I ask?

It's badly modeled and textured and I would replace it if I hadn't sworn to myself to accept my graphics as they were and finish the coding so I could actually do something with this TC.

I like the screenshots rmx256! Now I have another thing to wait on...

@rmx256, on Sep 5 2008, 02:23 AM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

By that I meant that you could make a beam that wide. I am using a beam width of -6, a corona falloff of 1 and two very similar shades of blue. The beam and the corona alternately flash on and off.

Ah yes, the two sides of the corona overlap to give a beam that looks like a solid colour, with transparency to boot. I was going to use a similar thing myself once but because of the transparency I couldn't get it as bright as I wanted. So is that two different beams firing alternately?

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 5 2008, 03:48 AM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

Eh, I suppose I wasn't looking too closesly. Though how do you tell it's millions of colors just looking at it?

Hm, well obviously I can't be sure it's millions without careful inspection with an image editor but to me it does look like millions. Maybe I just have an eye for it, I don't expect everyone to be able to tell.

This post has been edited by Guy : 04 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

@guy, on Sep 4 2008, 10:54 PM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

Maybe I just have an eye for it, I don't expect everyone to be able to tell.

Guy the eye XD

@guy, on Sep 4 2008, 03:54 PM, said in When crazy people play with weapons of mass destruction:

Ah yes, the two sides of the corona overlap to give a beam that looks like a solid colour, with transparency to boot. I was going to use a similar thing myself once but because of the transparency I couldn't get it as bright as I wanted. So is that two different beams firing alternately?

No, it is the same beam. After a short bit (if the display life is long enough) the corona starts to flash and since the beam is so wide (I suppose) the outline of the beam displays briefly. I reiterate that that is one single weap resource firing.

Ah okay, I'm betting it's caused by decay. The beam has no center, just a corona, and will decay from the inside out.

Decay 0, Reload 200, Shot Speed 600 (Don't know if that matters given that it's a beam), Duration 90 (for the purposes of the screen shot, usually 15, the effect still happens though it is not as noticeable).

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 04 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Weird :huh:. In that case I'm betting it isn't supposed to happen.

It could just be a strange weapon glow.

^_^