BETA PLUGINS!

Send in plugins and help other people with their's!

Welcome to my first topic on there forums.
In another topic with ory'hara.
I had an idea, why clutter the addons page, when you can let people you know beta test and help you here.
Therefore, i desided i will make a topic duscussing the matter.
I could use some help, as could a lot of people on the forums.
I would recommend pinning this thread to the top, cause, this topic is just gettin' started.
So errrr...
...have fun developers. 😉

This post has been edited by Static the one and only : 09 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Very few, if any, people have any plug-ins ready for beta testing. And rarely is such testing public. Smaller plugs, usually the dev tests their own, and beta testing may only last a few minutes. Larger plugs, the dev will either put out a sign-up request (such as I did) or privately ask those they know (I think ARPIA2 did this).

@joshtigerheart, on Aug 9 2008, 09:44 PM, said in BETA PLUGINS!:

Very few, if any, people have any plug-ins ready for beta testing. And rarely is such testing public. Smaller plugs, usually the dev tests their own, and beta testing may only last a few minutes. Larger plugs, the dev will either put out a sign-up request (such as I did) or privately ask those they know (I think ARPIA2 did this).

I doesn't have to be beta testing even though it can be.
Help people or get help.
Just mess around with plugins basicly.
Send in cool, funny, useful, weird, and pointless plugins.
That is what this thread is for.

So start sending.

There's only a hand full of plugs/TCs in development that are at the size where a beta testing team is a necessity, and all of them are either not ready for beta testing (CTC-C) or are beyond the point where beta testers are needed but haven't been released yet. (Ashen Galaxy comes to mind)

Besides, as far as I know, you haven't been with the EVDC community for long. We simply don't know how good a beta tester you'd be. We don't know if you'd be able to spot some tough-to-find bugs (finding bugs all depends on a player's preference for playing, I.E. strict mode or none, escape pod or reboot pilot upon destruction, etc.), we don't know if you'd be able to offer solutions for fixing bugs, we don't know if you'd be able to describe a bug properly once you found it... I've found that beta testing is one part game playing, one part testing, one part problem solving and ten parts determination. You'll have to expend a lot of time on playing a single plug if you want to go through every single facet of it, and once bugs are fixed, you'll have to replay it to make sure more bugs weren't introduced when the previous set was fixed. It's time consuming, and I ran out of steam by month six testing CTC-F. I think you should wait awhile longer before you sign up for any beta testing.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 09 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

The idea is not so that he can test the plugs, it's so that anyone can test/help/just take a look.
Combining everyone's plugs into one topic really isn't a good idea though. When people need help on their plug or want beta testers, they post their own topic where it can be discussed separately from everything else.