Realm Of Prey For Nova Public Beta

Hmm, given Dr. Trowel's suggestion it doesn't seem like it should be that big of a problem - I guess we're talking about a lot of values, huh? I'd be willing to help out with that process, MacDevil.

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut - I can't seem to get the Faction storyline introductory mission. I've been flying around in Faction space, my CR is Excellent and my Legal Status in all systems is "Decent Individual". Are there any suggestions anyone else might have?

@rampancy, on Jun 9 2008, 07:44 PM, said in Realm Of Prey For Nova Public Beta:

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut - I can't seem to get the Faction storyline introductory mission. I've been flying around in Faction space, my CR is Excellent and my Legal Status in all systems is "Decent Individual". Are there any suggestions anyone else might have?

Just keep trying. I'm going to up the offer probabilities for the intro missions in the final release of the plugin. They are a little low as is I think. If you still can't get it, post a pilot log.

@macdevil, on Jun 10 2008, 06:04 PM, said in Realm Of Prey For Nova Public Beta:

Just keep trying. I'm going to up the offer probabilities for the intro missions in the final release of the plugin. They are a little low as is I think. If you still can't get it, post a pilot log.

Thanks - I've finally got it now. I want to reiterate that I'm highly interested in lending a hand to make the process of readjusting the speed values easier for you. I remember I was able to use some of the heaver ships like the Atinoda Heavy Warship and the Guild Terminator but the slower speed of the game has made those ships useless to me.

Still, the upshot is that the game is a lot more challenging for me that it was before. Originally I'd just laugh at Pirate Bloodletters, but now, even in a highly modified pirate raider kestrel (sorry, I forgot the name), even taking on some of the lower-grade pirate vessels gives me pause.

Oh yeah, and I'm shaking my fist at you for giving the pirate corvettes anti-matter guns and the pirate raiders particle beams...and for letting the Feds fine me for having a shield booster (!). 😛

@rampancy, on Jun 12 2008, 05:22 AM, said in Realm Of Prey For Nova Public Beta:

Thanks - I've finally got it now. I want to reiterate that I'm highly interested in lending a hand to make the process of readjusting the speed values easier for you. I remember I was able to use some of the heaver ships like the Atinoda Heavy Warship and the Guild Terminator but the slower speed of the game has made those ships useless to me.

I'll be looking into making these adjustments this weekend. I still don't see what the big downside is to just playing with the caps lock on though. As far as your ship choices go, all the relative speeds are the same, so those ships should be just as effective as in the original.

Still, the upshot is that the game is a lot more challenging for me that it was before. Originally I'd just laugh at Pirate Bloodletters, but now, even in a highly modified pirate raider kestrel (sorry, I forgot the name), even taking on some of the lower-grade pirate vessels gives me pause.

Oh yeah, and I'm shaking my fist at you for giving the pirate corvettes anti-matter guns and the pirate raiders particle beams...and for letting the Feds fine me for having a shield booster (!). 😛

Yes the pirates are a bit tougher now, but I think that makes sense given the scenario. As far as the fines go, 1,000 credits is really not much...

Well, for some reason, it feels unnatural, like the game is put on Fast Forward. What I distinctly remembered was that the ships themselves were a lot more agile and faster in general in the original plug, as were the shots from primary weapons like neutron guns. Still, I realize that the EVN engine is a lot different from the EVC/EVO engine and you've had to make some adjustments for that.*

And out of curiosity, did you actually make the pirate ships tougher, or was it just you giving them fancier toys? 😛

I really don't want to sound like I'm griping and complaining. I really appreciate what you've done here, so much (see my first post in this thread). You'll have to excuse me, as I had so much fun in ships like the Guild Terminator in the original scenario. 🙂

(*EDIT: Or maybe my memory really is rusty...)

This post has been edited by rampancy : 12 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Just an update: my first attempt to up the speed of the plugin to 150% using the ConText/ResStore method was only partially successful. I was able to convert the appropriate resources to text files and then modify them using Excel. But then, when ResStore converted the modified text file back to a plugin, it messed with some of the values. For example, a shield recharge rate which should have been 65 became 100 when reconstituted using ResStore (and loaded using Mission Computer).

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I suppose I might have messed something up here. I will try again tomorrow.

Here are all the values I can think of that would need changing:
Ship: Speed, accel, turn, shield regen, armor regen (if any), fuel regen (EVO), death delay
Weap: Reload, count, speed, guided turn, decay (EVO) -- note EV weaps may have incorrect turning if an older version of SpacePort was used. Base turn rate should be 10 for torps and 40 for missiles (at 150% it would be 15 and 60).
Outfit: Cloak shield/fuel drain, speed, accel, turn, shield regen, fuel regen

Sorry it's been so long since my last update, my work this summer has kept me very busy. Here's where things stand:

- I have finally managed to use ConText and ResStore to increase the overall speed of the plugin to 150%. Hopefully this will make things feel more natural.

- I am playing through the end of the Faction storyline right now ((I am taking a break to make this post) and correcting a few final bugs.

- Expect the final version of the plugin within days (maybe even tomorrow if I'm lucky)!

YAY!

Maybe you could increase the range of the Viral Cannon? I found it completely useless before...

I have submitted the final version of the plugin to the addons page. I will let you know when it has been posted.