Acheron Total Conversion Released!

By whom? Pace? pipeline? For a non-ATMOS member, they're simply amazing.

Well, we just sat down at a computer and started typing. >.<

We had a rough idea of what we wanted, and we'd run drafts by the rest of the team members. The main thing we did was use ConText and ResStore to parse our text documents into text resources. That way, we could annotate mission structure in the file itself.

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 13 2008, 04:57 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm awful at graphics, and I'm not part of ATMOS 😄

And, CA, I think the best method is what Dave described: sit down & write.
With Arpia1, it was really that. I had some idea of what I was aiming to achieve, but most of the elements really came on impulse. This is why the storylines in ARPIA2 have such completely different missions from one moment to the next: there is one main direction in which the storyline is involving, and then you have subplots and then the "mission of the moment".

If you start by having the main idea and then create the first "missions of the moment", then you can start reworking them to add subplots. The more you rework your plot, the more complex and deep you can make it. But before complicating matters, try to have the basic elements. The rest will appear as you write it.

@pace, on Jun 13 2008, 01:58 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm awful at graphics, and I'm not part of ATMOS 😄

Wow, oops. 😊

Well, anything Aftermath wins, and I can outclass them myself, texture-wise (except for the V-4 Sabre; that's one of my favorites). For their purpose, though, they do well, and I think, in this case, the ease of using procedural textures far outweighs any quality loss in comparison to UV-mapping everything. (Or something else more complicated than simple procedurals)

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 13 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 12 2008, 11:57 PM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

FIX: For any member, they're simply amazing.

😉

I think what Pace was trying to say is that the graphics were done largely by ATMOS members, while he himself is not one.

Congrats on the release.

Okay, so I've downloaded and had fun with your TC which has made me start back into moding Nova for me 😄

My question will probably have a simple answer...

How do you make the theme music play during the loading screen and stuff? What do I have to set to make it read my music file?

I tried putting your Nova Music file into the Nova Files folder with the regular files but it didn't play it... How did you make your Acheron theme music play?

PS: Thanks in advance!

On Windows, the file must have a .mp3 extension; on Mac, it must have no extension. And the file can go in the Nova Plugins folder so it doesn't overwrite the existing music.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jun 20 2008, 12:24 PM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

On Windows, the file must have a .mp3 extension; on Mac, it must have no extension. And the file can go in the Nova Plugins folder so it doesn't overwrite the existing music.

Really? My Nova Music file has .mp3 attached, and even though it doesn't work at times, it usually works.

Thanks guys 🙂

It should work all the time, and in the case of Acheron, it should have .mp3 attached at the end whether you are on Windows or on Mac, because I modified the STR resource accordingly (which is mentioned in the ReadMe). I'm not sure why it wouldn't work - it is in .mp3 format, modified to mono and with a good portion of the track taken out at the end from the original. I can't think of any reason that any of those modifications would cause it to be un-playable.

Unless someone figures that out, I'll stick it on my list of things to look into. Thanks for reporting 🙂

No, it works fine running Acheron Nova Music but that music didn't work when I used stock Nova scenario and Acheron Music...

I was asking cause I wanted to be able to put some of my music to Nova and didn't know how to make it play during loads...

PS: It's past midnight so if this made no sense I'm sorry.

In stock scenario, it has to be named "Nova Music" without the .mp3 extension. In Acheron, it has to be named "Nova Music.mp3"

Thanks for that. I also noticed an old topic on just what I needed happened to turn up when I asked too...

Anyways, thanks again and GREAT JOB.

Um, Crusader? Your "X" acknowledgements desc causes Nova to crash when one tries to open it. Apparently it exceeds the 8096 character limit for descs that I found. You might want to shorten it a little. 😛

@jacabyte, on Jun 23 2008, 11:16 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Um, Crusader? Your "X" acknowledgements desc causes Nova to crash when one tries to open it. Apparently it exceeds the 8096 character limit for descs that I found. You might want to shorten it a little. 😛

Also, for Linux-with-wine users, could you make a zip filled wiith the actual files instead of a .sit or .bin file? Stuffit does not work on wine. It needs whiskey (vista, 2000, xp, me, os, osx, lepoard)

@jacabyte, on Jun 23 2008, 09:16 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Ah... that does seem to be a problem. I can fiddle with it. Thanks.

@oryhara, on Jun 23 2008, 09:32 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Also, for Linux-with-wine users, could you make a zip filled wiith the actual files instead of a .sit or .bin file? Stuffit does not work on wine. It needs whiskey (vista, 2000, xp, me, os, osx, lepoard)

I can try something on the next release, but the method I used to create the download files is very standard. Are you able to use .rez files?

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 23 2008, 11:42 AM, said in Acheron Total Conversion Released!:

Ah... that does seem to be a problem. I can fiddle with it. Thanks.
I can try something on the next release, but the method I used to create the download files is very standard. Are you able to use .rez files?

I can use .rez files. I also have evnew for my semi -conversion. I guess I'll just have to wait. :laugh:

I got into playing Acheron some more, and as Dr. Trowel said, the graphics are drop dead gorgeous. Past Nova quality and into a category of its own. Good work! 🙂