How do I

How do I...

Make a wormhole look like a ringworld and be unusable until it's destroyed by a ship shot, then look like a wormhole after getting blown up?

Destroy planets and aforementioned wormhole? I make a planet-type weapon, but it just passes by, explodes and annoys nearby ships, leaving the planet untouched.

Make borders of systems change with cron events? scratch that, figured it out

This post has been edited by Fireball : 05 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

@fireball, on Jul 5 2008, 01:27 PM, said in How do I:

How do I...

Make a wormhole look like a ringworld and be unusable until it's destroyed by a ship shot, then look like a wormhole after getting blown up?

Destroy planets and aforementioned wormhole? I make a planet-type weapon, but it just passes by, explodes and annoys nearby ships, leaving the planet untouched.

Use the ringworld graphics on a spob that is set to be a wormhole. Make it "dead", and when it dies it switches with a "live" one using NCBs.

Planet-type weapons should work. What were your planet-type weapon stats? What is the strength of the planet?

@lnsu, on Jul 5 2008, 09:14 PM, said in How do I:

Use the ringworld graphics on a spob that is set to be a wormhole. Make it "dead", and when it dies it switches with a "live" one using NCBs.

Planet-type weapons should work. What were your planet-type weapon stats? What is the strength of the planet?

I had both a beam and a normal blaster which did 2000 dmg, and the planet had 1500 strength

You shouldn't need to do a system switch (which really isn't nice). Use the 'Can only land here if stellar is destroyed first' flag.

@guy, on Jul 5 2008, 10:51 PM, said in How do I:

You shouldn't need to do a system switch (which really isn't nice). Use the 'Can only land here if stellar is destroyed first' flag.

Yes, I did that, the destruction of the planet is what's giving me trouble.

@fireball, on Jul 5 2008, 01:27 PM, said in How do I:

I should warn you that this can have complicated, unforeseen effects that hinder storyline progression; the game's original scenario had exactly this feature until fairly late in beta testing, when it was decided that the harm it did outweighed the good.

Question: What exactly were those downsides?

It can be best explain like this. You blow up Earth because you're bored. You then go to Heraan for your next storyline mission, and it requires you to land on Earth. But since Earth is dead, you can't land on it and can't progress in the storyline.

Just so. Having spobs change government (ie. in actuality control the visibility of several identical spob copies) made things go fracking nuts. We couldn't make missions go there reliably, and we sure as heck couldn't rely on those spobs being in place for critical path missions.