Technical Manuals

I know how they work. I designed the bloody things, after all. I just didn't think you needed to know. 🙂

Okay, just asking. I've reserved the book at the library, so I'll probably get it next week.

@pipeline, on Jun 29 2008, 02:53 PM, said in Technical Manuals:

I know how they work. I designed the bloody things, after all. I just didn't think you needed to know. 🙂

I do remember that you explained how hypergates work in one of the Speculation threads. Any chance you'll reveal more of the inner workings of the Nova universe?

@pipeline, on Jun 29 2008, 02:53 PM, said in Technical Manuals:

So, you can build us a concept then?

(I got to to see this)

Oh, and as I assume your joking, I really don't want to know you explanation, I really like mine. 🙂

To 0101181920, sketchy means that beyond some unknown point, no one know how a worm whole (if they exist) would or could work. So at some point I had to make up my own sort of physics for explaining how one could pass from one point in space to another without adhering to the speed of light. (I also had an explanation for ship hyperspacing and why ship hyperspacing (made up word there) is much slower than using the hypergates. I got to go work on that some more...maybe after my torn up body heals from 4--3on3 games and a baseball game this weekend...everything from my mid back to my knees feels like s###.

Well, we don't know precisely how the wormhole works, but we've got some pretty good theories. In addition, some research indicates that wormholes are extremely instable and collapse in under a second. This person also theorizes on how the wormhole could be held open (exotic material. Sound familiar?) However, to come up with a whole theory on how something that big could work definitely is not easy. I'll have something in my plug about wormholes, but nothing huge. Probably about half a page. Kudos to you. I have no idea how FTL travel could be conceivable, unless a very powerful gravity well can tear a hole in space-time. Hopefully something will strike me when I read the book.

You've told how hypergates work, and you won't say what a mar-graviton field is? I have no idea if that's possible, but I'll definately take a look at it. (whoopee, two more hours of research!)

I think (from memory) that mar-graviton fields are Handwavium.

Makes sense. As far as my research has concluded, they don't exist. Thanks, Pipeline!

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jun 30 2008, 11:11 AM, said in Technical Manuals:

Ah-ha. I found it

I have the whole topic saved to my computer already...plus a few others...still need to read through the whole thing again.

This post has been edited by Swithich : 30 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

I must get around to wikiing some of this stuff.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Jun 30 2008, 11:11 AM, said in Technical Manuals:

Ah-ha. I found it

Oh and that thread isn't the "original" speculation thread. Here you are: Uber Speculation.

But your thread is the one that has the hypergate explanation. I just thought I'd give the readers a little background.

This post has been edited by Swithich : 01 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

Wow, there's a lot of information in those threads. I find it interesting that the matter hasn't yet been settled... which is perfect considering the plug-in I am working on deals with such matters.

Scientists fighting over how the hypergate works, but nobody can prove it?

No, I'm using other matters discussed such as Kontik. 😉