[ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release

Brought to you by JoshTigerheart's Department of Total Conversions

Figured I might as well post this over here on the Dev Board too! Kind of hard to contain my excitement.

JoshTigerheart's Department of Total Conversions presents to you the first Escape Velocity Nova TC to be released in years: Colosseum! Colosseum is a small, combat oriented TC that has seen two years of development time to bring one solid, challenging gameplay package. Experience combat on the EV engine as never before with Colosseum's selection of interesting weapons and ships, as well as the ability to customize your fighter down to essential components such as the engine and shield generator However, though the focus is on winning battles to advance your rank, other groups are at work and Colosseum features a storyline to go along with your progress.

The Colosseum package includes CTC Essentials, CTC Base, CTC Graphics, a new Nova Music.mp3, the Official Colosseum Strategy Guide, and the all-important and often neglected Readme (MAKE SURE TO READ IT!). Many people have contributed to the development of this total conversion, see the full credits both in-game and in the readme for all who participated even a tiny amount. This TC is in Mac format, Windows users will need to convert. Got questions, comments, bug reports, or planetary tribute? Look through the contact information found in the readme.

Until the file gets onto the addons page, which doesn't seem to like me trying to upload a 25.3 megabyte file, click here for a temporary link to the download. Once it is live on the addons page, this link will be replaced with that one.

It feels good to finally finish this project. It's my hope that all of the long and hard work put in by myself and everyone else who contributed will be throughly enjoyed by the EV community. Two years of effort was put into this project, so take your time with it, explore every nook and cranny, and savor the experience. Then you're permitted to power game it. :laugh:

Anyways, I recall a couple of people promising to give Colosseum a sincere and full review. Can't wait to see them.

Oh, by the way, the EVN Wiki has an article on Colosseum that's going to need lots of updates now! Get to editing!

Many congratulations, Josh, I know how long you've been working on this. Now you are tasked with maintenance 😛

@joshtigerheart, on May 18 2008, 06:16 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

Until the file gets onto the addons page, which doesn't seem to like me trying to upload a 25.3 megabyte file

Was there an error or something or was it just taking a really long time? I have successfully uploaded a 20MB+ file before.

YAY! Maybe I'll finally have a combat challenge in EV for once! 🙂 :wub:

This post has been edited by Geek : 18 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

Dude congrats! I'm downloading this beasty now. Hehehe, and if I fail my exams I am laying most of the blame on you.

I'll give this a try once my schedule settles down...in 3 weeks.

WOOHOO! Glad to see this finally released. Now I have to do another playthrough 😛 .

@guy, on May 18 2008, 04:07 AM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

Was there an error or something or was it just taking a really long time? I have successfully uploaded a 20MB+ file before.

No clue. I hit submit at the same time I uploaded it to the temporary location. 12 minutes later the temp was done. An hour later nothing happened with the addons page.

Josh, you have just earned my seal of congratulations and respect. Now we have a new TC to add to that "Total Conversion" article... speaking of which, I will do so right now. I'm going to try it out now... I'll tell you what I think of it after I try it for a little.

(EDIT) 😞 Do you know what this face means?

Some guy on the EVN Wiki named "Manticore" does not allow me access to edit the page, and I can't email him. Sorry, JTH. Guess I can't update that page.

(Another EDIT) I liketh. Me approve of it. It's awesome, JTH. 😄

(Probably the last EDIT today...) It is a little hard to do any battle with the Coyote. Any tips or are they already answered in your guide?

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 18 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Haven't had time to play yet, but I have read the ReadMe!

I highly approve of the dig at MOO3.

I'm interested in seeing how the AI handles such quick ships and weapons. That was always a major limitation in Override and I never bothered to push anything much past a Nil'kemas Manta.

(Edit): Yay, another post! Now KoM doesn't need to keep editing his last post!

This post has been edited by Archon : 18 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

@joshtigerheart, on May 19 2008, 04:47 AM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

No clue. I hit submit at the same time I uploaded it to the temporary location. 12 minutes later the temp was done. An hour later nothing happened with the addons page.

Well probably not a good idea to try them both at once ;). You can open your Activity Monitor to check your network activity. If the upload activity disappears and the submission page doesn't tell it completed then that's a good indication it crapped out. But as long as there is upload activity then it's still working. Do you know the up speed of your connection?

This post has been edited by Guy : 18 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

um this is just a question but is there a storyline in colosseum?

Each submission I've done for the addons page has taken probably 2-4 days, depending on when David Arthur/Cleindori get to it.

@archon, on May 18 2008, 04:08 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

Yay, another post! Now KoM doesn't need to keep editing his last post!

... :laugh: Ahh, thank you for that.

@archon, on May 18 2008, 06:08 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

I'm interested in seeing how the AI handles such quick ships and weapons. That was always a major limitation in Override and I never bothered to push anything much past a Nil'kemas Manta.

Surprisingly well. The stupid A.I, of course, is still the stupid A.I, but they use all the weapons correctly and fly well enough.

@king_of_manticores, on May 18 2008, 12:13 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

(Probably the last EDIT today...) It is a little hard to do any battle with the Coyote. Any tips or are they already answered in your guide?

Try checking the guide. If that doesn't help, then ask away.

@guy, on May 18 2008, 06:46 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

Well probably not a good idea to try them both at once ;). You can open your Activity Monitor to check your network activity. If the upload activity disappears and the submission page doesn't tell it completed then that's a good indication it crapped out. But as long as there is upload activity then it's still working. Do you know the up speed of your connection?

I had about 260kb/sec upload last night to FileFront, which took about 12 minutes to upload 25.3 megabytes. I'm going to try the addons page again later tonight.

@of-doom, on May 18 2008, 07:01 PM, said in [ANN]Colosseum Total Conversion 1.0 Release:

um this is just a question but is there a storyline in colosseum?

Yes.

Has anyone else used the shotgun blaster-thing to dodge missiles and ionization fields yet? It's heaps of fun.

Azdara shields FTW! I am reaping them left and right with that beasty!

This is bloody awesome.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 19 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

'Kay if I share some battle hints with everyone? 🙂

Such as how to Monty Python with Inertialess engines...

please tell us please.

Doesn't it have to do with exploding a bomb to your side?

It's really easy. Just mount all the rear swivel weapons you can, and fly away from a pursuing target. The beauty of this is that being inertialess, you can easily match the speed of your pursuer to keep him in the golden zone (when you hit him and he doesn't fire back) the longest. 🙂 And with the Nimble Engine, you've got a lot of speed at your disposal.