Rigantis • the latest..

Posted Image

Hey all, Rigantis has moved forwards a little in the last few weeks or so, thought I might update you on some progress that's been made. First off, new logo concept (above) yay!

Fundamental to the plug-in storyline of course, is the world in which it operates. Significant not only as a visual stimulant of the imagination, but of the perception of the plug as a whole. I thought a good place to start would be planets. With a couple of good tutorials tucked under my belt I started on my first planet: 'New Scotland' in the 'Riian' system.

I don't actually have photoshop so I've had to improvise with what I've got. I use GIMP to map a base texture to a sphere, and then repeat the process with varying or similar textures before slicing everything up in a big graphical mess in Seashore and LiveQuartz. After much needed ######ing about, this is what I got:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some more recent concepts:

Old Oaks:
Posted Image

Rigantis:
Posted Image

Druss:
Posted Image

Druss' landing picture (in collaboration with extrik) and description:

Posted Image

Rigantis status bar concept:

Posted Image

Rigantis network location (accessed through hypergate 'HG-Primus' in system 'Nesre Primus', and in the future will connect up with northern systems as well as Codehaven or any other nearby Federation ports) :

Posted Image

A few desc snippets:

Sitting down at a polished steel counter you sip your drink, watching the seismic lava slowly and uncontrollably mutate the landscape below. You feel slightly uneasy at the sight, and finish your pint as quickly as possible before making for the door.

Regarded as one of the most diversely populated and biologically fascinating natural parks in the galaxy, Old Oaks plays host to numerous differing climates (some artifically maintained) and a research facility laboratory stretching 10 kilometers along the seabed. It is here that freelance scientists contribute to the biological world of science, and those employed by the Kin mimick natural mechanics in cutting edge combat weapons and craft. Tight security is maintained at each port as a means of protecting the natural haven from any disruption.

New Scotland acted as an early settlement of the Rigantis expeditionary forces as they ventured into Northern space for the first time, almost 3000 years ago. Beneath a methane-tundra that covers most of the planet, lies an extensive and elaborate network of tunnels that house New Scotland's present day population of around 12 billion people. Natural gases and minerals are in abundance and the mining industry employs a large proportion of the population.

The spaceport bar is almost empty, with the exception of a few shivering travelers wrapped in warm, synthetic cloth. You sip on a dark, Hobgoblin ale and watch the snow outside fall from an aquamarine sky. In the distance is a pristine sunset, streaked by green aurorae. You immediately feel the tension from your body flow away..

There's more being worked on at the moment. I still have to finish designing the set of the scene before I can really get fresh with the storyline, but for now this is what I've got. Unfortunately, I have to pass 4 'Advanced Subsidiary GCE' exams in the next two weeks, and its major stress. Expect the dev updates to slow down a bit in this time, I haven't given up, I'm probably just curled up in the corner of my room trying to cram the revision in haha.

You can find more screenshots and in-depth development here at the forums. Hopefully I'll be adding at the same rate here 🙂

Peace!

This post has been edited by Ravenheart : 08 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

Ooooh! I say, that is a MIGHTY NICE first attempt at making planets... I know I could probably find them myself BUT where did you find the planet making tutorials? Nice work and thanks in advance!

This one was my first, naturally being the first hit on google for "planet tutorial photoshop". I'm fairly experienced using LiveQuartz so I was able to imitate most of the techniques used with a collection of less accurate adjustments achieving broadly the same effect.

I learned of the neat little 'map to sphere' trick on a GIMP forum somewhere, don't have the link to it anymore. As for the textures - this is the hard bit. But as long as you get something fairly crusty (or cloudy) looking you can supe it out with effects and multiple layering to achieve what you want.

you wouldn't happen to need any help with mission bits would you?
cool planets.

@of-doom, on May 9 2008, 02:40 AM, said in Rigantis • the latest..:

you wouldn't happen to need any help with mission bits would you?

You've come to the right place man, I haven't a clue how to work them 😄 Would be good.

Come to the forums and register if you can, most of the progress takes place there.

ok

Decided life's too short to sit around smoking pot when I could be making Rigantis a total conversion for EV: Nova. Here's what I've got for the universe so far, I'll be expanding in all directions from the outward system forks.

The top left area is under dominant Rigantis control. The top-right by Centia and the lower area by Barakan.

So, two new governments have been added. Their colours go by those shown above, and each follow a unique theme. The Centia are an odd and unpredictable quasi-alien race, little is known of their history and origin. Barakan are a humanite faction similar to the Federation, under a brutal and dictatorial monarchy - a large proportion of the population are enslaved for the purpose of industrial might.

Also, new nebula 🙂

Posted Image