EVNEW 1.0.4 Difficulty

Hey all, hoping that this is the right forum, since my problem is with using EVNEW.

Here's my issue:

rle8 and rleD resources open fine but...

Any time I attempt to open a pict resource, the program (EVNEW) hangs for a sec, then crashes with the following dialog:

"EVNEW has encountered a problem and needs to close."

If I click to see the error report:

AppName: evnew.exe
AppVer: 1.0.4.0
ModName: quicktime.qts <---***
ModVer: 7.4.0.91
Offset: 001514d4

I didn't have this problem about 6 months ago, when last I tried my hand at coding plugins.

I have re-downloaded EVNEW from the Ambrosia site, and I have re-installed Quicktime (latest version of 7.4). I'm running Windows XP.

Does EVNEW hook into Quicktime and externally run the Quicktime engine? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance, if anyone has any suggestions smile.gif.

I'm just going to move this over to the Developer's Corner, which has a higher proportion of members who are familiar with the workings of EVNEW and other plugdev programs. 🙂

I have had the same problem with EVNEW 1.0.4 as well. I tried the same things that you have and every time I open up a PICT it crashes.
I have also tried it with multiple .rez files. Its not the ones that I have worked on that crash. Brand new plugs that I download from this site still crash it when I work with a PICT file.

Im having the same issues...Is there any other program thats needed to open the pict files??

EVNEW does use Quicktime to read and write plug-in files. Nova and EVNEW apparently have issues with newer versions of QT. I am going to attempt going back to an older version to fix the problem.

On a side note, pict files are Mac format images. QT is the only program I know that is able to open these files on Windows.

This post has been edited by Ant'Iglias II : 29 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

It would be nice if Adam would come back and update EVNEW, I just ran into this one hard when attempting to resume work on my Clavius rEVisited project. I have reasons that I need to keep my version of QT Lite updated, so now I'm kinda stuck. This bites.

he did make the source code available (probably for this purpose)...

Source code? Where? Maybe I can compile it against a current quicktime...

I couldn't tell you if this is the original source or not, but it looks to be.

I know the creator's main site has been down for some time...so this might be of use.

http://www.geocities.com/aprosenf/

Let me know if you need any helping hands if you recompile it CaptJosh.

I don't know the first thing about coding, but I can lend my services as a tester.

I can't recompile it. I can't figure out how to adapt the instructions for linking against the two necessary libraries to the compilers I have available. (Borland C++ Builder or MSVC Express 2005)

Why can't you use the same compiler he did? Is it not free?

Yeah, he used MS Visual C++ as I recall.

Borland C++ Builder isn't free. I just happen to have a copy. Either way though, I can't figure out what I'm doing, so I've up and gotten a little tangerine gumdrop, a g3 333 MHz. Going to continue my EVN dev work under OS 9 now unless someone else can figure this out. I'm a hardware guy. I don't know this software engineering stuff. Not nearly enough anyway.

Well, I almost have it working. I'm using MSVC++ 2008, and the version gap is causing some problems (actually, a lot) with the way he wrote it; I'm going to try with 2005.

If you can get it working, it would save me SO much effort. I still haven't even gotten to getting files transferred to the mac yet to keep working on Clavius rEVisited.

It would be really great if you could fix this. I've just started work on my first ever plug-in but I can't make it any goood without PICTs.

SB