PC Nova Crash

Buttons or Object Data

I am (actually my Windows beta testers are) having a problem with Acheron starting up on Windows. It is definitely a scenario problem, because it has been thrice confirmed on separate computers that stock EVN runs fine. The debuglog looks normal, but cuts out at "initializing buttons". This most likely means that the problem is with the buttons that "initializing buttons" refers to (either the main interface buttons or the in-game interface buttons, although I suspect the latter is more likely) or that it lies in "loading object data", which is the next line, and doesn't appear in the debuglog.

Question 1: Does anyone know off the top of your head what the problem is? (Unlikely, but I might as well try)

Question 2: What does "loading object data" refer to?

Questions 3/4: What are the possible causes for PC Nova crash (this works fine on Mac Nova) that could be related to buttons or object data? In fact, what are the possible causes for PC Nova crash that do not cause Mac Nova to crash?

Question/Comment 5: I noticed that some PICT resources lose pixels when transferred from Mac to PC Nova, most notably PICT resources 8030-8032, which are directly related to the main interface buttons (I didn't check many of the other images, but many do not lose the pixel line). On my Mac, the dimensions are 357x88 which corresponds to the associated spďn resources. However, when the PICT resources are transferred, the size becomes 357x87, and I need to modify the PICT to be 357x88 (a relatively tedious process in Paint). I have also tried 356x88 in case the issue is with even vs odd numbers. While I would expect that this is where the problem lies, none of my attempted fixes that change any of this information have had any effect. Still, I could definitely see this being related to the problem. The question is: Has anyone ever seen this issue with transferring PICT resources from Mac to Windows or back before, with the pixel loss, and is there any explanation of it or information regarding its fix?

Do you have menu button Slide-In spďns and graphics? If so, how many frames are they each?

Yes. They are 2 frames each. The sprites are the above mentioned PICT resources 8030-8032. Possibly having the same number of frames as Nova will help?

Edit: switched to 1x11 frames. Still works fine on Macs. I'm sending a plug to my Windows testers to see if it works.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 01 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

Check the spin section in the Resource ID Guide from the link in my sig, noting the items in bold. If you've got everything there I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Regarding even vs odd, when doing the EV/O ports one problem I had to fix was an issue where the right-hand border of some dialogs were clipped on windows Nova. It seemed that windows Nova would force all dialogs to even dimensions, compressing by one pixel where necessary. EV/O's dialogs all have a single white pixel outline so clipping by one pixel was an obvious problem. To fix I just adjusted the dialogs and dialog backgrounds to even dimensions. Not sure if it's relevant but there you go.

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

I'll bet that's the issue. MacNova doesn't mind some of those being encoded just as PICTs, but I'll bet my lack of rlëD resources for 600-605, 607, 650, spobs and weapons is causing the problem.

Windows Acheron testers: I'll get a fix file to you as soon as I get the rlëD resources and put them into a plug.