Unemployed

Stupid plug-in caused the game to crash. I can't post a debuglog yet, but when I do, I'll also try creating a new pilot. In the meantime, what can cause a plug-in to make the game crash?

@qaanol, on Feb 22 2008, 01:33 PM, said in Unemployed:

Sounds are...did anyone ever come up with a reliable way to convert sound from an arbitrary format into an 8-bit mono snd resource on OS X / Intel (or Windows for that matter?)

Yup, a program called SndSampler. I made an audio guide which you can find at the link in my sig.

It'll crash when it attempts to draw graphics it can't find. Make sure your spďn has resource ID from 3000-3255 and your wëap links to the correct spďn. Make sure the spďn links to the correct rlëD with the correct size and number of frames.

Guy: Thanks.

Debuglogs are handy in this sort of situation, because they'll generally have a note saying "WARNING: Could not find rleD", or whatever the problem was.

I don't quite have access to EV Nova yet, so the debug's gotta wait. In mission Computer, when I preview the sprite, it doesn't show up properly. How could I correct it?

If I have to ask one more question, it proves that I'm not ready for this and I should try that Food Stuff plug-in I came up with.

Click the "Correct" button. Sorry, not sure how I was supposed to answer that question. If it isn't showing up correctly that most likely means you didn't create it correctly and will need to redo it. Having no idea how you created it in the first place I can't help any further.
If you don't want to ask any more questions you'll have to try working things out for yourself, with help from various guides (see the Important Links topic) and searching the board 😉

@madfax7, on Feb 20 2008, 01:17 AM, said in Unemployed:

ResEdit is a piece of crap. No offense to R&R, they did a fantastic job with Nova Tools. But ResEdit itself is a buggy, file corrupting piece of crap.

Actually, IIRC, some of the NovaTools editors were quite prone to crashing ResEdit. The outfit editor was particularly bad. I do have the source if anyone thinks they could have a go at fixing some of the problems (you'll have to have the right software and/or knowledge to build it again though).

This post has been edited by Guy : 24 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

NovaTools only crashed ResEdit for me every once in a while, but it was still more often than crashes from MissionComputer and I had to boot Classic to run ResEdit, and when I start EVN in OSX while Classic is running, Classic would freeze when I quit EVN, and I would have to force quit and reboot to get back into ResEdit.

I don't know why that happened, but it wasn't as easy as just using MissionComputer, so I only use NovaTools for shän resources now.

This is proving to be too difficult at the moment. I'll come back when I'm ready.

In the meantime, I'm going to practice with a plug-in called "Food Stuff" I came up with. I'll post a topic about it and about a Starfox one my friend and I are making if I need help.

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 24 2008, 04:31 PM, said in Unemployed:

In mission Computer, when I preview the sprite, it doesn't show up properly.

Most likely there’s something wrong with the data you’re providing. Can you describe what is wrong with it?

Instead of going through all the frames individually, it's as if the "camera" is going from one corner to the other diagonally.

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 27 2008, 01:30 AM, said in Unemployed:

Instead of going through all the frames individually, it's as if the "camera" is going from one corner to the other diagonally.

You set the grid wrong when you created the rlëD. Open up the sprite mosaics that m2s created and count the number of vertical and horizontal frames, then adjust the grid layout when you're creating the rlëD to match. So if there are 6 frames up and 7 frames across, you'd enter 6x7 into the grid layout fields.

You can double check things when creating the rlëD by simply scrolling around the picture and visually looking at the blue grid lines, seeing that they match up with the edges of each frame.