Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought

Need info from veteran board members

I think I'm having trouble getting shan resources to apply to ships. I'm making a new plug-in that involves many new pers resources using new ships. I made the first one and everything works fine, except the ship is completely invisible, despite its lack of a cloaking device. You can still lock on to it, attack it, and be attacked by it, but it can't be seen.

This post has been edited by Sponge Tom : 28 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

Is the ID of the shan resource the same as the ID for the ship resource? If not they have to be, or else the game won't find the connection and your ships will be invisible.

@phoenixfire, on Feb 13 2008, 03:41 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

Is the ID of the shan resource the same as the ID for the ship resource? If not they have to be, or else the game won't find the connection and your ships will be invisible.

The ID is the same.

Check the base transparency in the shan.

@guy, on Feb 13 2008, 06:30 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

Check the base transparency in the shan.

Zero.

You could try copying the shän for another ship which you know works and seeing if that turns up properly in Nova. If it does work, then you can compare your shän and the working shän and see what differs between them.

Alternately, you do have the sprite and mask in the proper RleD, right?

@belthazar, on Feb 13 2008, 08:13 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

Alternately, you do have the sprite and mask in the proper RleD, right?

Yes, both RleDs and Rle8s copied right from nova into the plug.

No no, you don't need to copy those, he was just asking if you have the correct IDs set in the shan resource. I'd suggest the same thing he did: try copying an existing shan, making sure that works, then changing fields as necessary to get what you want.

@guy, on Feb 13 2008, 09:18 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

No no, you don't need to copy those, he was just asking if you have the correct IDs set in the shan resource. I'd suggest the same thing he did: try copying an existing shan, making sure that works, then changing fields as necessary to get what you want.

I copied an original shan, and replaced the one I made with it.
Didn't work...
So that rules out a problem with the shan resource, right?
I might have just left one out. Tell me all the resources you need for a completely new ship.

ship and shan, that's all. Try posting the plug here.

Discounting weapons, Shďp and Shän. If you're using new graphics, RlëD. Rlë8 is optional.

As a check list for potential troubles, can you tell us what numbers are you using for the following?
This is just to get some possible problems out of the way.

Shďp RID: ?

Shän RID: ?

Shän Sprite ID: ? < These two are fields inside the Shän resource itself>
Shän Mask ID: ?

RlëD RID: ?

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 13 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

Shďp RID: 300

Shän RID: 300

Shän Sprite ID: 1010

Shän Mask ID: 1011

RlëD RID: 1010 (sprite/mask) and 1410 (engine glow)

I'm trying to upload the plug, but it keeps saying, "You did not select a file to upload".

Do you have any other plugs which might be overriding or conflicting?

You'll need to zip the plug before you can upload it and it must be under 100k.

The plug is bigger than 100k...

And there is no conflicting plug.

When you say the plug is bigger than 100k, is that AFTER you compress it? You could try copying only those resources which are being difficult to a new plug, and seeing if that comes out to less than 100k when compressed.

I'm vaguely curious as to whether a debuglog would shed some light on the situation...

@belthazar, on Feb 14 2008, 04:59 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

When you say the plug is bigger than 100k, is that AFTER you compress it? You could try copying only those resources which are being difficult to a new plug, and seeing if that comes out to less than 100k when compressed.

I'm vaguely curious as to whether a debuglog would shed some light on the situation...

Ok, I don't have time at the moment, but I'll get the debug log and a smaller plug when I'm back.

Ok, here's a smaller plug.

You go to Sol, then there's the system "Just Chat" a little southeast of it.

Note: you'll need a fast ship to catch up with the ship I need help with. It will hyperspace quickly.

Ah, you've used the same images as the Starbridge, I see. Comparing your shän to a standard Starbridge shän, you appear to have changed the Base X and Y Sizes and the Glow X and Y Sizes - the ones you've entered are larger than the original, so the game is running out of image. I haven't actually started up the game yet to test it out, but it may be worth noting that an easier way to test it out would be to simply create a chär resource that grants the player this ship as their starting ship, rather than having to chase the ship down in-game. 🙂

Okay, I have no idea why but it's caused by setting the cost to -1 :huh:. So just watch where you're putting those -1s. Sometimes 0 is more appropriate and sometimes blank is more appropriate (ie, the availability field). (The base sizes and mask fields are ignored for RLEs so these won't be causing any problems).

Also, please use this program to archive your plugs as the macbinary encoding on the plug you just posted is unfortunately not compatible with Leopard.

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

@guy, on Feb 14 2008, 08:10 PM, said in Web Board plug coming not quite as soon as I thought:

Also, please use this program to archive your plugs as the macbinary encoding on the plug you just posted is unfortunately not compatible with Leopard.

So I just use that and not the normal macbinary or the plug in archiver I've been using?

And thanks, the price change worked.

This post has been edited by Sponge Tom : 14 February 2008 - 08:20 PM