STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed

We have all the models -- They just need to be rendered or converted

Hi Everyone!

It’s been quite a while since I posted anything regarding STN:TFF, I must apologise for that.
Such is what happens when life takes turns you don’t expect it to take.

I’ll post a topic in the EVN disucssion boards on an update and progress of STN:TFF (Star Trek Nova: The Final Frontier, a Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine total conversion for EV-Nova, for those that are unaware).
In this topic, I’m specifically looking for one or two more graphics designers who would be able to either render, convert and render, or create the Star Trek ships that we need for the upcoming Teaser (large plugin, actually) and Total Conversion intself.
Here is the trick. I have at least 90% of the model that we need (possibly 100%), there are about 300-400 models that I have... All in Max 3D format.
If you own Max 3D, all you would need to do is render the sprites for us.
If you own an app such as lightwave 3D, then you could simply convert them to lightwave format and render the sprites.

If you own another app, and would be willing to create the ships, we would consider that as well.
For all of the above, if you are interested in getting this thing out there as part of a graphics designer, please PM me and reply to this topic.

With a little luck, and an extra person or two, I think we can finally get something out for everyone. 🙂
-- Edit coming with link to update on STN:TFF

If you have any questions or need further details, please reply so I can elaborate a bit more.
Thanks for everyone’s support!!

- David
aka Highway of Life

I might e willing to try my hand at creating a couple ships. The program I use is Blender. I am currently working on a project of my own, However, I seem to have a little down time while I wait for my Graphical assistant to finish spinning ships.

As a creator of ships, I would only be able to create the mesh, and I would be unable to spin it. (I suck at UV Maping)

I have always been a big fan of star wars. I would love to help in any way I can.

@yamfries, on Jan 28 2008, 06:12 AM, said in STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed:

I have always been a big fan of star wars.

Because that's so helpful when working on a Star Trek TC...

Blender can be used with Max 3d, even if the files have to be converted to lightwave format to import (although if I'm not mistaken blender can import max 3d files directly, but I'm not sure; I know it can import lightwave files).

If anyone wants to spin them on blender, I have a msword document that I made for myself detailing all of the angles and whatnot and the keyframing process (since using a keyframing process in this case only takes about two minutes) for rendering ships. It's just a quick "get it done" method but it meshes with nova graphics perfectly.

@orcaloverbri9, on Jan 28 2008, 08:33 AM, said in STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed:

hehe. :laugh:

@crusader-alpha, on Jan 28 2008, 10:33 AM, said in STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed:

Blender can be used with Max 3d, even if the files have to be converted to lightwave format to import (although if I'm not mistaken blender can import max 3d files directly, but I'm not sure; I know it can import lightwave files).

If anyone wants to spin them on blender, I have a msword document that I made for myself detailing all of the angles and whatnot and the keyframing process (since using a keyframing process in this case only takes about two minutes) for rendering ships. It's just a quick "get it done" method but it meshes with nova graphics perfectly.

Okay, cool, that would be awesome.
Though I have Max 3D, I have never actually tried to use it. :unsure:
Just been too busy with work and programming, things I enjoy far more.

If someone would like to give it a shot, I’ll send you a Mesh or two to try out.

@yamfries, on Jan 28 2008, 06:12 AM, said in STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed:

I have always been a big fan of star wars.

@orcaloverbri9, on Jan 28 2008, 08:33 AM, said in STN:TFF TC - Models or Graphics Designer needed:

Oops. 😛

I can spin it with key-frames, and set it up like that, and render it, what i CAN'T do is import it into Nova. If you want, you can send me a mesh, so I can see what look you are going for, or describe a ship you would like made, (Preferably both.) I can try to make a few ships.

I'll give it a shot with one mesh, if you like; mostly to test out if blender results work well, because I'm not sure if I can spin 400 models very quickly.

Edit: oh, if you send it, send it to crusader2014 at gmail dot com. If you can export it to lightwave format or wavefront object format, that's easiest for me to import, I think.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 29 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

Okay, just for a bit of clarity, I have 400+ models, but not all unique, many are by different artists (I didn't make any except the NX-01, partial work on the Delta Flyer, Intrepid and Prometheus class ships).
We don’t actually need 400 ships rendered, I’m guessing it might be somewhere around 50-60? I’ll have to check with Josh (JCC) to see exactly how many we need.

Yoda, where shall I send a ship to?
I’m going to send each of you a couple different ships, but let me know if they don't work, I do have many different formats, so I’ll double-check what formats there are.
Most of the models are fully textured Max 3D, some are models that Max 3D can import from a Star Trek Game -- I’ll do that if I can --
Most of the others are untextured generic 3DS models that will import into ANY app, but they would require complete texturing. -- If you are willing to do the texturing, the options really open up. But if you can just import the Max 3D or game models, it will save a massive amount of time and you could probably spin all of the models in under 2 weeks. (assuming you’d do it part-time)

This post has been edited by Highway of Life : 31 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

send it to my E-mail
Xivo123(at)yahoo(dot)com

also, what format do you want them rendered in? (Yes, I said earlier that I didn't have time to render them, but I changed my mind.)

Blender can save in several formats. JPEG, PNG, Qicktime,Targia, iris, Cineon, Radiance HDR, Etc. (If you need a full list, let me know.)

I have always been a big fan of STAR TREK! 😄

I would recommend rendering them to .avi raw movie files and then using spritemaker or m2s to turn them into sprites, and then enrle or mission computer or something along those lines to convert the sprite files into rle's, then send it all in a plug.

The last time I tried to make a ship that could fly in Nova using Blender, it was actually possible to render the model as 36 or so separate .png files without having to advance the key frame and hit the render button 36 times. I'll have to look that up...

Edit: Okay, you do this by rendering the ship as if you were creating an animation, except that you set the file format to .png and set the number of frames per second to animate at to equal the number of frames you're rendering. (36 FPS in my case) Then you set a folder for it to dump the frames into in the "Output" dialog in the Scene tab and volia, 36 .png images of your ship at different angles. Be sure to hit the animate button instead of the render button.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 09 February 2008 - 02:23 PM