Restarting attempts

@lindley, on Jan 14 2008, 09:20 AM, said in Restarting attempts:

I've hit the 15MB limit a few times. I don't lose anything, though. Just open a new file in ResEdit, copy half the stuff to that, and save them both. It works.

That was the first thing I tried, but MC wouldn't read the file! It was corrupt or something apparently. Maybe I screwed something in ResEdit.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Jan 14 2008, 05:08 PM, said in Restarting attempts:

That was the first thing I tried, but MC wouldn't read the file! It was corrupt or something apparently.

Any resource file which exceeds one of the limits of the format (file size isn’t the only one) is by definition corrupt. MissionComputer’s behaviour when trying to open it is therefore undefined. Because of changes in the file system model, I suspect MissionComputer 4 might have a better chance of reading it than 3.2/3.3, but that’s just a guess.

I've been trying to encourage the rest of the ETC team to produce content with which me and EVWeb can code, but its no use so far.

The key is to allow > 15MB in RAM, but give an error when you try to save it to disk. That way you can move resources to a different file without losing anything, and try saving again.

@lindley, on Jan 16 2008, 10:11 AM, said in Restarting attempts:

The key is to allow > 15MB in RAM, but give an error when you try to save it to disk.

That will be all very well once MissionComputer starts storing the open file in RAM (probably somewhere around 4.1).