Marathon TC Idea

LOL. It's the running joke that the developers are obsessed with the number 7. It always says that. Google Marathon Developers 7 or something similar. It's weird how many 7s there are in the game. Even the music is done by "The Magnificent 7".

I just downloaded Marathon and Aleph One, and the first game is pretty cool for having been released in the DOOM1 era. So far, so good. Another thing; according to wikipedia, Master Chief and the dude you play in Marathon are the same person. Wierdness! I wondered about that; that picture you posted of that guy from Marathon in Just Graphics clearly shows that his handguards look the same as Master Chief's from Halo 3.

Many fans of Bungie studios games have found several similarities and continuties with the two games. Some similiarites include the circle-in-circle logo found on the UNSC ship "The Pillar of Autumn" in the Halo series, on 343 Guilty Spark, on the Mjolnir armors that Master Chief (a cybernetically altered human) wears, and the Mjolnir Cyborg in Marathon, and the designation SPNKR on the rocket launchers, and the relation of the name between the assault rifles in Marathon 2 and Halo Combat Evolved, MA-75B(Marathon 2) and the MA5B(Halo: Combat Evolved). But the best piece of evidence is, that former Bungie Head Alex Seropian (who has gone on to found Wideload Games) claimed in an interview that the protagonists of both the Halo trilogy and Marathon Trilogy are one and the same.(2)

From wikipedia. Look up 'Marathon Trilogy'.

@shlimazel, on Sep 28 2007, 12:38 PM, said in Marathon TC Idea:

I just downloaded Marathon and Aleph One, and the first game is pretty cool for having been released in the DOOM1 era. So far, so good. Another thing; according to wikipedia, Master Chief and the dude you play in Marathon are the same person. Wierdness! I wondered about that; that picture you posted of that guy from Marathon in Just Graphics clearly shows that his handguards look the same as Master Chief's from Halo 3.

Well, that art is purely conceptual; that über gun he's holding isn't in the game at all, but yes, there are a lot of similarities. That circle-in-circle logo can also be found on the main menu screen of Halo, behind the text at the top.

How could that guy be master chief? It's impossible. And yet... I burn to find a way!!!

I don't think he really is MC, the two are just really similar characters.

You can find the Marathon logo all over the place in Halo: Keyes' uniform, the sides of the Pillar of Autumn, the design of 343 Guilty Spark (if I remember correctly), and a few other places too.

Interesting. I bet bungie thinks the amount of effort we fans put into deciphering these things is just hilarious.

@shlimazel, on Sep 29 2007, 12:22 PM, said in Marathon TC Idea:

Interesting. I bet bungie thinks the amount of effort we fans put into deciphering these things is just hilarious.

They go into all this detail about where the level name "Never Burn Money" comes from, when it obviously is a reference the expression "Money to burn". It's just saying that even if you have moola (or ammo) in excess, you shouldn't just waste it.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 29 September 2007 - 12:43 PM

I played the Marathon trilogy a little bit after Halo 1 came out. After completeing all three I was so sure that eventulay (in the Halo series) that Cortana would go rampant, alas not entirely. I guess Cortana isn't like the rest of the AI from the Marathon series but it would have been funny to see Cortana and Durandal interact, (or to see Durandal take control of Halo).

Edit: About the TC idea, yeah go for it. It sounds like a good idea. I keep wondering if the ships should move really slow or not, for effect, because if you have them move slow and have high sheilds and armour than the fighters would be going round like crazy while you blast at your enemy. Much like what I thought the battles were like in marathon.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 29 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

I haven't gotten far enough in Marathon to see any spaceships other than the shuttle in the beginning. Are they Halo-istic?

@shlimazel, on Sep 29 2007, 03:48 PM, said in Marathon TC Idea:

I haven't gotten far enough in Marathon to see any spaceships other than the shuttle in the beginning. Are they Halo-istic?

Well, you don't really see the ships... You're usually on them. However, in Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity, there are several terminal pictures that show Pfhor ships, and there are at least two Jjaro stations that we know generally what they look like. That leaves most of ship-related stuff to our imagination.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 29 September 2007 - 05:05 PM