How utterly annoying

Uhhh, if they're not .rez files, then .zip is a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. Your plug-ins will loose their resource forks and become unusable. You need to use something like plug-in archive them to .bin.zip them. This keeps the resource forks intacts and is also the easiest format for Windows users to handle (whereas .sitx is an absolute pain for them).

Being only for testing purposes we'll let you get away with this one.

Anyways, I checked it out and I believe the problem is that your system requests 10 asteroids but no roid resources exist.

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

Ah. That'll get 'em. I would have never ever thought of that. Props, my friend.

@guy, on Sep 13 2007, 08:48 PM, said in How utterly annoying:

Being only for testing purposes we'll let you get away with this one. I'll repeat the link I posted just above for you to use in future 😉

Anyways, I checked it out and I believe the problem is that your system requests 10 asteroids but no roid resources exist.

Ah. Err. That's a remarkable find... and I had wondered what was up with the asteroids (since I asked for ten and usually got two, or none).... but for me at least, it sill won't run without Nova Graphics 2. (which makes sense, since the asteroid images were already included, and the missing resources were in Nova Data 6 instead). Thanks, though. And I promise... no more .zip files (that aren't secretly .bin files in disguese, at least).

New, improved link, now with a tasty layer of .bin encoding (I think): http://www.savefile.com/files/1053824

This post has been edited by Otter : 13 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

I'm working on...something... and unconsciencely I didn't put any asteroids in the system because somehow I knew it would crash, but it wasn't like, foremost in my mind or anything.

@zapp, on Sep 13 2007, 09:41 PM, said in How utterly annoying:

I'm working on...something... and unconsciencely I didn't put any asteroids in the system because somehow I knew it would crash, but it wasn't like, foremost in my mind or anything.

I... think it may finally be solved. Turns out I was missing spďn resources 800-815, (the asteroid ones).
For the record, you people are the best. I am now one step closer to my goal of total world domination a working Plug-in.

If you're having trouble with some asteroids not appearing, try the High Res Asteroid Fix from the link in my sig.

@guy, on Sep 14 2007, 02:21 AM, said in How utterly annoying:

If you're having trouble with some asteroids not appearing, try the High Res Asteroid Fix from the link in my sig.

My plug now incorperates High Res Asteroid Fix. (Copy, paste, copy, paste...). Anyone I should be mentioning in the credits in thanks for this innovation?

Nah nah, that's fine. Just make sure any asteroid sprites you use are at least 50x50 (actually there was one guy for whom I had to make them 100x100 before they worked on his screen).

Edit: Whoa, my tiny little "I'm a noob, please help me" topic seems to have become the biggest warzone this side of Tichel. Err, hope it's not my fault.

Never fear, it isn't ;). Sorry about that.

I... think it may finally be solved. Turns out I was missing spďn resources 800-815, (the asteroid ones).

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem! I thought it was a missing resource.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 13 2007, 05:00 PM, said in How utterly annoying:

@Otter: With .zip archiving windows users won't be able to play it.

This statement, while valid, isn't 100% true. With an immense amount of difficulty, I was able to get the "All Good Branches" plug to work, but it was so troublesome that I can't even remember how I did it now.

I think someone needs to remake it as a "Windows-Friendly" edition.

On the whole, .bin.zip format needs to be erased from this reality, I feel.

Would you rather us give you overly complicated .sitx or .hqx files? As long as Mac Nova plugs have to use resource forks and nothing better comes along, .bin.zip is presently the best solution to cross-compatability archiving.

@warlord-mike, on Sep 14 2007, 12:39 PM, said in How utterly annoying:

This statement, while valid, isn't 100% true. With an immense amount of difficulty, I was able to get the "All Good Branches" plug to work, but it was so troublesome that I can't even remember how I did it now.

...what are you talking about?

Other than converting to .rez, .bin.zip is the single easiest format for plugs made on a Mac. Windows users expand the .zip and convert the .bin. Mac users expand the .zip and decode the .bin. What makes this difficult?

Otter: NEVER use OS X's built-in archiving for a plug-in; people with 10.2 and under and StuffIt 8 or so and under can't use it, and OS 9 and Windows users can't use it at all.

Josh: .zip is okay here because it's a special kind that retains the resource fork. However, as I said before, it will only work for certain people.

@warlord-mike, on Sep 15 2007, 04:39 AM, said in How utterly annoying:

I think you're getting your formats mixed up. All Good Branches is a .sit.hqx file. While these files are rather complicated to extract, the plug-in conversion tutorial does give explicit instructions on how to do so. If you just follow the guide you'll always be fine.
For the record though, I believe DA and Clien will reject any submissions in .sit.hqx format.

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

@guy, on Sep 14 2007, 03:27 PM, said in How utterly annoying:

I think you're getting your formats mixed up. All Good Branches is a .sit.hqx file.

Sorry. THAT'S the format I meant. I got the two confused.

But again, it was massively difficult to convert it. Probably why it's banned now.

...It does beg the question, though: why on EARTH did this accursed format exist in the first place?

Way back in the really old days, I believe .sit files foolishly stored some important information in their resource fork. Thus to transfer them safely an extra layer of encoding was required. Ambrosia's addons submission dialog was written some time back then and has never been updated. People come to upload stuff and obligingly follow the instructions.