Little Help?

Importing a planet graphic

Ok. So I make a beautiful planet image in photoshop. I create a mask. I import the planet and mask into mission computer as image ID's 799 and 800 (random, I know). I create a spin based off the images. I replace earth's spin with mine by giving mine the same ID number (1000). I start up nova, ready to enjoy my beautiful planet and BAM! Earth looks like a tiny asteroid (not my graphic at all). What's going on? I looked at the ID numbers, and everything should match up. Has this happened to anyone before? BTW, no matter what I change the ID of my spin to, earth still looks the same. Can anyone help?

P.S. My graphic: Attached File New_Sparta.gif (89.82K)
Number of downloads: 28

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 24 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

When drawing graphics, Nova first looks for Rle's, not Pict's. If it find's an Rle, it doesn't look for anything else.

Those random numbers you used happen to point to some of Nova's asteroid graphics, stored in Rle format.

Try changing your ID's to 2100 and 2228 for the planet and the mask. Also consider converting it to an Rle, as they load faster.

(Edit) On another topic, someone once used a series of spobs to put a 2000x2000 size planet into Nova, but the framerate dropped to about 11 fps. Not an actual problem, just something to think about.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 24 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

@eugene-chin, on Jul 24 2007, 08:34 PM, said in Little Help?:

When drawing graphics, Nova first looks for Rle's, not Pict's. If it find's an Rle, it doesn't look for anything else.

Those random numbers you used happen to point to some of Nova's asteroid graphics, stored in Rle format.

Try changing your ID's to 2100 and 2228 for the planet and the mask. Also consider converting it to an Rle, as they load faster.

Thanks a lot. I'm planning on adding a couple planets to my new plug, so that really saved the day.

Well, I got it in there, but now my planet has a red overlay. The graphic should be compatible; I tried PICT and TIFF formats. Does anyone know what's wrong?

The latest version of Nova has problems with some image formats that it didn't under previous versions. You could play around with the format of your Picts, but since it's a spob image, you could convert it to an Rle, and not have this problem. On a Mac, this is what you'd use to do it. On Windows, there is an editor called EVNEW that can also do the conversion for you.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 24 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

The latest version of Nova (1.0.10) has fixed all the problems the previous version of Nova (1.0.9) had regarding PICTs with various coloured overlays and other crap. You should always make sure you're running the latest version of Nova. But yeah, do use RLEs for all your sprites. Mission Computer can create these itself using Make RLE from the utilities menu.

@guy, on Jul 24 2007, 10:31 PM, said in Little Help?:

The latest version of Nova (1.0.10) has fixed all the problems the previous version of Nova (1.0.9) had regarding PICTs with various coloured overlays and other crap. You should always make sure you're running the latest version of Nova. But yeah, do use RLEs for all your sprites. Mission Computer can create these itself using Make RLE from the utilities menu.

Ok. Thanks. I have the latest version on an external hard drive, and I couldn't find it so I just used 1.0.9 which was on the computer already. I'll be more careful in the future 😄

Props on the planet graphic there. It looks really nice. ^_^

@shady-tradesman, on Jul 25 2007, 01:55 PM, said in Little Help?:

Props on the planet graphic there. It looks really nice. ^_^

Thanks. I think it's my best one yet. The actual version is 1000 x 1000 pixels, so it's VERY detailed. I'm glad you like it.

@eugene-chin, on Jul 24 2007, 08:34 PM, said in Little Help?:

(Edit) On another topic, someone once used a series of spobs to put a 2000x2000 size planet into Nova, but the framerate dropped to about 11 fps. Not an actual problem, just something to think about.

Mine's about 500x500 and it works fine 🙂 Pretty big.
Attached File Picture_158.png (86.04K)
Number of downloads: 18

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 25 July 2007 - 01:22 PM