TC; basic technical help

@capt--zil, on May 3 2007, 02:48 AM, said in TC; basic technical help:

Yeah, you're right. It actually is bent and somewhat out of whack in several dimensions. I just like the character... I can change backgrounds pretty easily though, but yeah, you've got a good eye...

Taking DGA my senior year helped with that. All we did was use Photoshop, Image Ready, and Live Motion, but mostly the former.

Cool.
So, you might as well give me your opinion of another of my favorite EV ships.

Ok; I just threw it on that background, which I am not really happy with either... but the ship itself I do like. I did it the same way I made the Frigate.
Thanks.
😄

btw; the tc is going fairly well. I am working on missions ...and working....and working... 😉

Attached File(s)

@capt--zil, on May 13 2007, 01:24 AM, said in TC; basic technical help:

<Awesome Defender Render> (Hey, that rhymed!)

😮

You sir, are amazing.

As I've stated several times in Just Graphics, could someone help me with my jaw?

The model is pretty good. But you can tell you pasted the background in. Lower quality and pretty grainy compared to the ship.

One thing I would do to make a half decent space background (with no shiny nebulae or anything) was to make a black background and put a few white dots on it. Then, allowing some transperency, use the close stamp to make the dots all over the place for about five-ten minutes. The result usually is a rather plain background, but the quality difference tends to be much less obvious. I used that trick when I use PS in class to make a picture of a Viper flying over a planet.

Posted Image

I miss Photoshop.

Yikes!

Alright, sorry about that, but I use GIMP and I know that it is possible to get better pictures than that. You might want to try going to a little site called Solar Voyager and picking up a few pointers. They have a tutorial on star fields that's pretty good. It does takes awhile to get from the first step to the last step but you'll be happy with the end result. It was also meant for Photoshop but it's pretty easy to translate to GIMP. And for planets I use this script. Have at it!

It's the same one. 😛

Ah. I didn't check.

@jacabyte, on May 13 2007, 04:04 PM, said in TC; basic technical help:

Yikes!

Alright, sorry about that, but I use GIMP and I know that it is possible to get better pictures than that. You might want to try going to a little site called Solar Voyager and picking up a few pointers. They have a tutorial on star fields that's pretty good. It does takes awhile to get from the first step to the last step but you'll be happy with the end result. It was also meant for Photoshop but it's pretty easy to translate to GIMP. And for planets I use this script. Have at it!

You probably have more than two class periods (a bit under three hours) to make something in too. After spending a class period and a half learning to make the low-detail planet (which I messed up on the shading a bit if you notice the right end(, I didn't have much time to do much else, so I spent twenty-thirty minutes making the stars, cutting and pasting the Viper, and adjusting the lens flare to make it look like a proper light source (not too bright, not too dark).

Like I said above, my technique is to create a low quality starfield thats a little less obvious that its different quality than a copy/paste job with a grainy image, not to mention its plainess makes your eye focus on the subject as opposed to the background. Of course, its much more effective on the casual viewer, I'm sure.

Yeah, that is a good background (with the viper).
You clearly have a better integration between the subject and the background.
I just tend to work very hard on the primary object and sort of throw it on something out of laziness. Of course, backgrounds are very important...
Either way, thanks for the comments, guys.

The Voinian Frigate still has a ways to go -- it looks like it's made out of wood; not as menacing as the original Frigate, which is clearly metallic.

The Defender, however, is awesome.

@consul-bob, on May 14 2007, 12:23 PM, said in TC; basic technical help:

The Voinian Frigate still has a ways to go -- it looks like it's made out of wood; not as menacing as the original Frigate, which is clearly metallic.

Shhh. Its the Emalgha variant. Don't let them know.