Ship Question

I've been making ships for a plug I'm writing. I've written several plugs before (none I thought worth publishing) but this is the first time I've tried to make new ships.

For the most part, its gone well. I've used Blender to make the ships and masks and SpinApp to patch them together into PICTs (thank god for SpinApp! I'm using windows and previously making ships was almost impossible). I put everything together and I thought it'd worked perfectly.

Then I added weapons. Weapons "hit" the ships in the middle of space. I think they're hitting the sides of the ship's graphic.

I thought the mask was there to take care of this problem. My ships aren't surrounded by a block of black space, so I'm pretty sure I did the masks properly.

Any idea why this is happening? It's hard to test ships when they can't dodge anything.

Moving to the EV Developer's Corner, where folks who will be able to give good advice are more likely to be found.

Welcome to the boards! 🙂

Mwahahahaha...the power is mine!

Are you using Nova 1.0.10 (AKA 1.0.A)? It solved a few bugs regarding collision detection.

Also, the weapon's proximity fuse might be going off too far away. Check the wëap's ProxRadius field and make sure the number isn't too high.

Are you using PICTs as sprites? If so, you should convert them to RLEs, which are more stable and efficient, and it might also solve your current problem. I'm pretty sure EVNEW has some sort of "convert to RLE" feature.

@nil-kimas, on Apr 10 2007, 03:37 PM, said in Ship Question:

I'm pretty sure EVNEW has some sort of "convert to RLE" feature.

Nope, it doesn't. You'll have to either:

A. Export the PICT and re-import it as an Rle resource.

Or, if you still have the source image:

B. Delete the PICT resource and make a new Rle resource from scratch.

Thanks for your help!

I was using PICT's for the ships and I think that was the problem. I exported all of them and then turned them into rle's. It worked perfectly for all of them smaller than 300x300 pixels, and I just shrunk the ones that weren't. I don't really need ships that are that big anyway.

This post has been edited by John Elson : 10 April 2007 - 10:10 PM