EV Nova development in OS X

...possible?

An honest question: How exactly do you develop plugins for Nova in OS X? Probably this question has been asked before... many years ago when it came out, in fact... but since I recently got back into playing Nova after a long while of not playing... I forgot what the answer was. It's a bit confusing, seeing as ResEdit is required, used best with NovaTools, but, well... that doesn't run in OS X, and certainly not on a MacBook. SO, all you folks out there who develop plugins, and run OS X, how do you do it? Or... you don't, and you use OS 9/Classic environment instead (which is impossible with an Intel Mac)?

Mission Computer is a handy tool. 🙂

@shenlon, on Mar 2 2007, 01:01 AM, said in EV Nova development in OS X:

you use OS 9/Classic environment instead (which is impossible with an Intel Mac)?

don't know much do ya? ever thought of doing a google search instead of proving your stupidity?
i'll give ya a hint, slow one. sheepshaver.

and the post for missioncomputer is still at the top of the forum too, ffs. don't like work, do ya?

This post has been edited by Tycho : 01 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hmph. Sorry for my idiocy... but courtesy in replies is more helpful, Tycho.

Yes, I forgot about SheepShaver, but only because I can't use it myself. No way to get a legal Mac ROM, you see. Secondly, I didn't notice Mission Computer until I had already posted this... because it isn't so well named, I figured it was only for missions, and I was wondering about other things as well. I noticed it does edit just about everything.

Bah. Never mind then.

Shenlon isn't stupid. 😛

Besides, he was gone for two years over in Taiwan, so he'd be necessarily unaware of any developments during that time.

In any case, asking a question can often lead to as good or better results as simply searching, as we'd be more likely to know exactly what he wanted. Case solved. 🙂

sorry if this seems like i'm having another go at ya, but...
-don't apologise or take offense if someone gives ya s### on the net, take it in jest.
-don't expect courtesy.
-never expect an app name to be anything to do with its purpose.
-if you're away from a forum for a while, read and read and read. a lot of forums i visit are now rubbish tips because of people just asking questions without doing a little research.
-don't listen to anyone, make your own informed opinions.

hope your hiatus in taiwan was cool.

This post has been edited by Tycho : 02 March 2007 - 01:35 AM

Tycho, your attitude is not entirely called for.

@crusader-alpha, on Mar 2 2007, 05:10 AM, said in EV Nova development in OS X:

is not entirely

you said it. partial is good enough for me.

Don't know what bee's in Tycho's bonnet...

I'm on OSX and I still find ResEdit and NovaTools really handy, in classic. For some resources, like ships for example, the templates are more accessible than MC, and it can be good to be able to double check in a second program.

Honestly, SheepShaver isn't for everyone, anymore than Basilisk II is. The fact it is technically possible to use it doesn't mean everyone can do it or is so inclined. And even though you may be right, Tycho, this isn't the way to say the other person is wrong.

Back to the matters at hand, this is the very reason I improved Rezilla, the latest version I released is custom 3 (it's to be considered experimental, though it's been in use for a few months now and there hasn't been any problem).

It's days like these I'm glad to have classic and OS X :rolleyes:

Do you have another computer by any chance? an older one? If not, I don't know what to say :mellow:

I'd suggest talking to an apple professional, cause I'm clueless 😛

@tycho, on Mar 1 2007, 11:25 PM, said in EV Nova development in OS X:

-don't expect courtesy.
-never expect an app name to be anything to do with its purpose.
-don't listen to anyone, make your own informed opinions.

Why?

And on the second one, I remember when Mission Computer first came out, and at that point it was only for missions. I didn't expect it to have changed so much.

Snaily said:

It's days like these I'm glad to have classic and OS X

Do you have another computer by any chance? an older one? If not, I don't know what to say

No... only got the one for now. And it's a Mac Intel, so no Classic, and since I only have one computer, SheepShaver isn't an option (unless there's another legal way to get the OS and Mac ROM?)

Rezilla might be a nice way to get a little more into things... might try it out.

@tycho, on Mar 2 2007, 01:28 AM, said in EV Nova development in OS X:

you said it. partial is good enough for me.

Huh, so even the EV Developers Corner has random trolls and flaming. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah, Mission Computer is pretty good, I've been playing around with it myself for awhile now, and there's not much it can't do.