Debugging a simple plug

@guy, on Aug 25 2005, 03:43 PM, said in Debugging a simple plug:

Bah, just realised the "rescue" goal doesn't actually repair the ship. That's my ideas out the window.

Gravedig! But I just found out why this doesn't work, or rather what determines whether it works or not. The rescue goal attempts to put the special ship into a 'waiting' state but this only works if the ship was alive beforehand. If the ship is already in the system when you enter then it will be assumed to be well and truly disabled and the only thing you can do is retrieve whatever might be on board. So to get a non-pers ship to go into a waiting state you must make it jump into the system after you have already arrived (since a ship must be alive in order to jump in). After a second or two the mission properties kick in and the ship goes into the waiting state at which point you can 'rescue' it.

Hope this is useful to someone. I actually got my idea above to work via other means though.

(edit) Something cool I just noticed: If it starts in the disabled state but has a repair system then you can watch it and after a while it will change to 'waiting'. It doesn't happen quickly enough to be a reliable solution though (plus if you shoot it up a bit while it's waiting you can put it straight back into the disabled state). And no, giving it 10000 of them doesn't seem to make it happen any faster. The repair system should allow the modtype to define the chance of being repaired every second.

This post has been edited by Guy : 02 February 2007 - 01:42 AM