ARPIA2 discoveries: gövts, another quirk/bug

@pac, on Jan 8 2007, 04:22 AM, said in ARPIA2 discoveries: gövts, another quirk/bug:

Okay, I may have made a (small) breakthrough in improving AI fleet behaviour (in relation to the MaxOdds field). At first, I thought I'd found a disastrous problem that was going to cause me nightmares, but I may in fact have come up with a way to get desirable behaviour (!).
( )

Wow, nice analysis.

That said, the alien invasion doesn't fit in this category, because they don't know the MaxOdds (it's their first real battle encounter with humans, so we're talking "fight 'til death", and given the superiority of Hogun weaponry, it's actually desirable to have them attacking the player 😄
(I've heard that for some people it's so hard that they're about to abandon trying when my përs jumps into Residio and tears all the Uhngys apart :p)

Interesting. Is there anything in this discovery that would make the Nova scenario work more like it's desired behavior?

I beat the mission, but it was insanely tough. I had to, quite simply, RLH for the system's edge, spawning fighters as I went, and the various Arpians managed to help me and my fighters take 'em out. It's bloody hard to move when you're in something as slow as a Pirate Carrier, Heavy Weaps. Platform Variant, even with all the speed upgrades.

Pace, somethin' else I noticed when I play: You can buy the Manta Bays at one point during the Reg. Member Storyline, but no Mantas! What's up with that?!?

Though I highly doubt it, are Antimatter Reactors/CPLs/Nil'kem Jammers available during the Shadow Warrior Storyline? I'm still getting through the Reg. Member storyline, so I don't have any idea what's going to be available for me.

One last question: What is the most free space that the Charachnor has? The Heavy Weaps. Platform Var. of the Pirate Carrier has 1086 tons of space or something like that, according to EVula's Stats on it.

And with that, I depart.

So from what you're saying, the current engine behaviour is if a fleet encounters an enemy fleet which exceeds its MaxOdds it will simply continue its normal behaviour but pretend that the enemy fleet isn't there. Ie, if there are other enemies then engage them, else if there's a friendly port then land there, else jump out. An engine fix would be to simply make a fleet immediately jump out if there is any enemy fleet which exceeds its MaxOdds.

How do reinforcements fit into the picture? The reinforcements are called in only if the MaxOdds are exceeded but what does the allied fleet do while waiting for the reinforcements to arrive? Do they fight on, knowing that reinforcements are on the way, or do they simply see that the odds are currently against them and retreat?

@pipeline, on Jan 8 2007, 06:57 AM, said in ARPIA2 discoveries: gövts, another quirk/bug:

Interesting. Is there anything in this discovery that would make the Nova scenario work more like it's desired behavior?

I'm not certain. I've played through two of the main scenario's plot-lines now, but still haven't played it intensively enough to know if odd behaviour like this tends to come up. I imagine that the main thing it might affect would be pirate ships/fleets which fail to run away.

@guy, on Jan 8 2007, 10:24 AM, said in ARPIA2 discoveries: gövts, another quirk/bug:

An engine fix would be to simply make a fleet immediately jump out if there is any enemy fleet which exceeds its MaxOdds.

Yes. 🙂

How do reinforcements fit into the picture? The reinforcements are called in only if the MaxOdds are exceeded but what does the allied fleet do while waiting for the reinforcements to arrive? Do they fight on, knowing that reinforcements are on the way, or do they simply see that the odds are currently against them and retreat?

Untested. Knowing the AI though, I strongly suspect that it will only look at current odds, not possible future odds.

This post has been edited by pac : 08 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

Heh, so by the time the reinforcements arrive the rest of the fleet will have jumped out and then the reinforcements decide that without those additional ships the odds are still against them and then they promptly jump out too 😛

This post has been edited by Guy : 08 January 2007 - 05:44 PM