System Limits

Or rather when do you loop?

I would like to know when you hit the system boundrarys. You know, When you get looped to the other side of the system. I want to place a "Black Hole" at the corner(or corners, its hard to know if there is 4 or if there is just a "point" that is oposite of the system center). Well that is assuming that nova will let me. Any one know? The Nova Bible doesent say anything about system limits/boundrys.

I'm pretty sure the system is circular. You can expiriment with it and find out. Try setting both values to 3000 then adjust it to what you see fit.

I was under the belief that the system was square. I thought this because:

• The radar is square and not circular or anyother shape(triagular system? weird...).

• It was square in EVC where you would hit a invisible wall.

• Square is esier to deal with 'cause

• You don't have to deal with pi.

• You only need to transport across longitude or latitude of a system no 3rd or 4th direction(Nova would have to worry about 360 different directions aswell as other stuff in a circular system)

Is the perimiter located 3000 pixels from the system center? If the Holes gravity was to great would it interfear with the jump in/out of ships? Some of this I will find through trial and error but some I don't think I will.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 07 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

@wonderboy, on Jun 7 2006, 12:01 PM, said in System Limits:

I was under the belief that the system was square. I thought this because:

• The radar is square and not circular or anyother shape(triagular system? weird...).

• It was square in EVC where you would hit a invisible wall.

• Square is esier to deal with 'cause

• You don't have to deal with pi.

• You only need to transport across longitude or latitude of a system no 3rd or 4th direction(Nova would have to worry about 360 different directions aswell as other stuff in a circular system)

Is the perimiter located 3000 pixels from the system center? If the Holes gravity was to great would it interfear with the jump in/out of ships? Some of this I will find through trial and error but some I don't think I will.

Hmm i have to agree with u there, i doubt the system is a circle, but i dont think ull be able to find a system boundry becuase there isnt a wall. right? so u might have the the blackhole in one corner but a half of that blackhole is on the other side of the screen. So u might not be able to put em at the corners. And how do u find the coordinants in game? I dont htink they have em available in the game window...do they? :huh:

Lol, WonderBoy...now theat we have made a blackhole weap...you want to make a blackhole in the system? Awesome, i wonder what someone else will use a blackhole for. Time travel? Parallel universe? sucking planets down the drain? That woudl be awsome...lol. Good luk, this will probably be the last post i will post for about 3 weeks. LAter!

Somebody did work it out exactly once but I can't seem to find it right now. It's more than 3000 though - try 10000. But the problem is that when you hit the border at, say, 10000 pixels from center you come out at the other side at a distance of only, say, 7500 pixels from center (which means if you turn around you'll have to travel a wee way back before you cross the border again). Also, the spob would only be visible when you're in the same quadrant as it - ie, you can't "see" across the border.

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

Would gravitational effects travel across the border or would it try to pull you all the way through the system? I guess I could have 4 copys of the Black Hole one in each corner.

that might work, but wouldn't the gravitational pull affect u in some odd ways, and since my blackhole only had a negative impact when i made it explode, and do constant explosions, there is still a limit. Is there a way to have a graviational influence in a system that is constant? If so would i be able to combine it with a weapon and make the effect temporary?

Well, missiles work across the border, so I imagine gravitational effects would.

@chronodrago, on Jun 7 2006, 04:37 PM, said in System Limits:

that might work, but wouldn't the gravitational pull affect u in some odd ways, and since my blackhole only had a negative impact when i made it explode, and do constant explosions, there is still a limit. Is there a way to have a graviational influence in a system that is constant? If so would i be able to combine it with a weapon and make the effect temporary?

A permanent black hole would be a spob set with high gravity, and I don't believe it could be used as a weapon. Negative impact I think is the best way to work that, and one could make those effects indefinite by making the weapon submunition into itself with no sublimit. It would only work so long as the player was in they system though, and didn't land.

In reality, the game can't simulate black holes very well, because the effect would be felt across a few/several/many systems. More like gravitational wells, but it doesn't really matter.

Edit: That was odd, I posted two replies and it fused them into one. It didn't even include a "this post was edited by crusader" thing. Now it does though. Oh well.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 07 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

You shulden't double post, Alpha. But you knew that already.

On-topic. I do not believe there to be a way that you can combine a Spob with a weapon. Nope. Not possible. At least not with out hacking the engine. And I highly recommend that you never EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THAT!! Yes I realise that I just did and so everyone else that reads that will porbably also think aobut it. But in all seriousness. Don't. One its illegal. Two you could serrioulsly mess it up very easily. And three: It would be frowned upon by all who respect this game and its creators.

@wonderboy, on Jun 7 2006, 03:54 PM, said in System Limits:

On-topic. I do not believe there to be a way that you can combine a Spob with a weapon. Nope. Not possible. At least not with out hacking the engine. And I highly recommend that you never EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THAT!! Yes I realise that I just did and so everyone else that reads that will porbably also think aobut it. But in all seriousness. Don't. One its illegal. Two you could serrioulsly mess it up very easily. And three: It would be frowned upon by all who respect this game and its creators.

Lol, i wouldnt hack the engine. You might as well just make your own game if you plan on doing that. I was just curious if there was a way to make my black hole last longer and have a constant negative impact. Becuase right now they are in spasms, but thats not noticable. Just the smaller ships such as fighters go flying past the blackhole with tons of velocity 😄

Well, yes just make it submunition alot more like 500, 1000 or even 32767 times. Oh and that seemingly random number is the maximum you can have in Nova for many things.

I know...isnt that wierd? I also realized that the submunitions number really doesnt have much effect after about say 100. Its the proximity delay. The longer that is the longer the blackhole last, but thats good and bad. its the proximity delay that gives the spasming negative impact, to by rasing it, the spasms are less often.

If you have four spobs with gravity at opposite corners of the system, nothing will ahppen. the gravity between them will always nullify itself.

I've been doing some experiments based on the border limits myself by planting 4 spobs in each corner and I think indeed it does turn out to be a square. Also the looping is more of all borders overlapping eachother but I don't know how many pixels (I call it the curtains). This gives an interesting effect in hiding spobs that way, but also if you assign it as an exiting wormhole, when your ship exits out of it, that spob will instantaneously disappear right before your eyes.. I believe that 14xxx pixels is the closest (I forgot exactly) vicinity before the player loops to the other side. An interesting note, is that if and when you place a spob at the edge of the curtain carefully, you can actually dock with it, but leaving and the spob disappears (technically, they don't disappear, you just get bumped out of the range of the curtains).

I'm talking about a "Black Hole" a deadly stellar with moderate gravity.

@LiAnNaSu: But would the gravity multiply itself if you wern't between them?

hmm that would make sense, if theyre pulling in teh same relative direction.

@guy, on Jun 7 2006, 03:00 PM, said in System Limits:

Somebody did work it out exactly once but I can't seem to find it right now.

That was me. When the player's ship reaches a distance of 15000 pixels from the center of the system in either the X or Y direction, they are teleported to 10000 pixels out on the opposite side of the system. You can see a map of the basic system here.

Hah! This answers your question from the other thread, too. The player jumps into the system at a point on a circle 1350 pixels in radius. If you're interested, the formula for the precise entry point is "x=1350cosin(Theta), y=-(1350sin(Theta))", where Theta is the angle of the jump route just taken, measured counter-clockwise from due east.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 07 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

Ah, that's a useful pic, I think I'll keep it. How did you work out the ~1460?

@guy, on Jun 7 2006, 10:16 PM, said in System Limits:

Ah, that's a useful pic, I think I'll keep it. How did you work out the ~1460?

Noticing that very large numbers of mission ships form a square, and plunking down spobs to estimate the corners. Because I couldn't measure it with absolute precision, I won't swear to anything much more precise than 1450.

Edwards

@wonderboy, on Jun 7 2006, 08:24 PM, said in System Limits:

I'm talking about a "Black Hole" a deadly stellar with moderate gravity.

@LiAnNaSu: But would the gravity multiply itself if you wern't between them?

Yes, and you would be sucked into the center. However, you would have to be pefectly parallel with two of them for you to feel and gravity effect. Also, if you put them at the far corners of the system, so that by the time you were parallel, you would have crossed over to the other side, you wouldn't have a problem.