Simple "shield effect" trick

Heh. I like this one more. I understand it. I diden't get the other ones reference. Either that or I'm just plain dumb.

You had to highlight the text to see the words in the middle on Qaanol's old sig.

@qaanol, on May 31 2006, 12:41 PM, said in Simple "shield effect" trick:

If the identical shield image effect looks as good as you say (I'm assuming it transparently overlays the base image, momentarily making the ship flash brighter) then I will be utilizing it in something that will first be seen by another human being this coming Friday. Hmm, that's in two days... I better implement it tonight.

I don't think it's an overlay. I think it just adds the colors together like it does with engine and weapon glows. That is, it does it like this, if R/B/G1 refer to the color of the ship sprite's pixel in question, and R/B/G2 refer to the color of the corresponding pixel in the shield glow:

R = min(255, R1+R2)
G = min(255, G1+G2)
B = min(255, B1+B2)

So (100, 100, 100) on (100, 100, 100) would become (200, 200, 200), while (100, 100, 100) on (200, 200, 200) would become (255, 255, 255), etc.

@lnsu, on Jun 4 2006, 10:54 AM, said in Simple "shield effect" trick:

You had to highlight the text to see the Words in the middle on Qaanol's old sig.

I know. I just dident get the reference. Or whatever. Thats why I said "I'm just plain dumb."

@wonderboy, on Jun 6 2006, 02:05 PM, said in Simple "shield effect" trick:

I know. I just dident get the reference. Or whatever. Thats why I said "I'm just plain dumb."

I'm not really sure it was a reference to anything in particular. Even that or I'm 'plain dumber.'

It was something about a half hearted smile. If I remember correctly but thats all I remember.

(Edit): GRAAA!!! I hate starting a new page in a topic.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 06 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

Either way, this simpler shield effect is cool. But the bubble-style ones leave open the option to use the little buggers Shield Drones. They're drones with shield bubbles, except these bubbles are massive, and the ship itself is tiny. They've got a decent amount of shielding, very little armor... And a massive shield regen value. Put one or two in your fleet, and utilizing them right might save your arse during a fight.