Override Sound to Classic Problem

Confused

Greetings.

Trying to add Override's Voinian Neutron Sound to EV Classic for a new weapon. I seem to have everything right, as i can toss in any sound i please and have it work fine. I've tried around twenty, half of which from other Override Sounds, and the others from various plug-ins for either game. It's just the Neutron sound, and only the Neutron sound, that isn't working. While in ResEdit, i paste the sound into the plug-in file and "Try Sound". It sounds right, and indeed, makes the sound in the first place. Once in-game, however, it becomes silent. Thoughts?

Oh, and before any further confusion erupts, I'm running OS 9.2.2, not OSX, so it can't be a problem with OSX's Classic program thingy... Although, seeing as it works with any sound other than Neutron Fire, I doubt it could ever be a problem with Classic.

It may be that EVC is more picky about the sound formats it supports. Check (if you can) the caracteristics of the sound (sample rate, mono/stereo, 8 bits or 16 bits, normally there is no compression), and convert to a format that you know EVC accepts, to see if it helps.

Try this:

1. Create a new sound resouce.
  2. Open the Neutron sound resource and copy the contents.
  3. Paste contents to new resource.
  4. Discard original resource and Save.

What program(s) are you using to edit sounds, also, what ID of the sound are you assigning the neutron weapon sound to for EVC?

None of these will work. What you will have to do is this: Open an EVO sound that works, and open the Neutron sound, in an editor that supports system 7 sound. (I use the old version of Sound Studio. The newest version dropped system 7 sound support.)

Check the sample rate, bit rate, and mono/stereo of both sounds. Change the neutron sound accordingly, save, and open the system 7 sound file in resedit, and copy the sound resource back in.

If that does not work, prepare for mind-blowing complexity.

You will have to create a new Sound Studio file, copy an override sound that already works from ResEdit, paste into Sound Studio, find Sound Studio's temp folder, copy the file inside, paste back into a ResEdit file, change the file's type to System Sound, and re-open in Sound Studio. Then paste the Neutron sound into that file. Find the new temp file, copy the data, put it into ResEdit, and it should work. No promises.

This is one of the reasons Nova should have supported other sound formats. :mad: