Can't find a good sprite/mask making tut.

looked everywere

I'm wondering if there is a tutorial for making sprites/masks for EV:N. I don't use ResEdit, it doesn't work on my computer for some funky reason. Which is precisly why I only use Mission Computer. So I was wondering how I would go about making a sprite / mask file from scratch. OK, lets say I want to make an airplane. Lets just say a B-17. I have a .3ds file of the B-17, and I have a game (3d graphcs of course) that has the B-17 in it. I was wondering if there are any good methods of taking screenshots to make a sprite / mask file. Just for those who know the game, its Warbirds 2005. So for those who don't know, you can view the plane from outside, (any angle) So i was wondering if taking a screenshot of the plane from a top-view. Would this be a good way of starting? I'm sure there are tons of ways to go about this Im really interested in makin a custom ship sounds awsome.

P.S. This is the right place for me to be posting this right? Just checking 😉

Did you look at this?

It's linked from the pinned topic full of links.

Yea, i saw that, but he uses ResEdit as an example program. I cant use ResEdit, I've tried for a few years, and it wont work.

Step 1:

• Open up your mask and image file in whatever graphics program you are using. Copy the picture

Posted Image

Step 2:

• Open up mission computer

• Select "create ev nova plug-in" Name it bob, joe, smurf or whatever, it doesn't matter at this point.

Open your newly created plug-in. Don't worry, this is only a temporary file.

Posted Image

Step 3:

• Create two new pict resources. Copy and paste the picture and mask into the first and second resource respectively.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Create a new shan resource.

Posted Image

• Enter the values of the picture and its mask into the first two fields.

Also take note of the BaseSetCount and FramesPer fields, entering a bad value there will screw up your sprite. Bigtime.

Posted Image

• Don't forget to save

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Skyfox : 21 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

Step 4:

• Open your new sprite plug-in using the ERLE tool from wootware.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Presto, it makes an .rlëD file of your sprite.

• Open this .rlëD file using mission computer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You should see stuff in the .rlëD and .shän resource. Copy these files into your actual plug-in (i.e. probably located in your nova plug-ins folder). (Be careful of the resource numbers, if somehow your .rlëD resource value gets bumped up or down, you will need to go in and change the appropriate line in the .shän resource as well)

...and thats it.

PS, if you have trouble reading the images, get glasses.

Skyfox, on Feb 21 2006, 02:33 PM, said:

Important: Make sure you name the shan else you may have trouble finding the .rlëD file.

Cool thanks guys! I'll give it a try later when I can.