question about seemingly unused items....

Edwin_again, on Feb 7 2006, 05:58 PM, said:

aha, so that's why it's possible to remove the extension and browse through an app like a folder....View Post

Depends on the application. If it is a bundled application, like most MacOS X programs, you can do that (as the "program" is, in fact, a folder. The actual code is one of the interior files). However, if the program is designed for older versions of MacOS (as Nova is), the program is a single file, with a data fork (containing the code for the just-now-being-replaced PowerPC processors) and a resource fork (which can be opened with ResEdit, and contains, among other things, the code for the old 64k processors).

Edwards

BOGWarrior, on Feb 6 2006, 10:00 PM, said:

WAIT A MINUTE! I think I've seen the "Demand More" button in play! I can't quite remember where, but I remember I used it and I got my bass kicked. Hmmm, mighta been EV Classic.
View Post

Seems like it might have been a built in refuel-a-ship mission, then scrapped and just done with a misn like everything else.

Edwin_again, on Feb 7 2006, 08:58 PM, said:

aha, so that's why it's possible to remove the extension and browse through an app like a folder....
View Post

Edwards is right. The Resource Fork is mainly something that's part of the old Mac OS. The .app Bundles OS X uses are quite different.

darth_vader, on Feb 6 2006, 09:29 AM, said:

You can't open an executable in ANY program. It must first be decompiled, then browsed with a text editor or an application editor. If your willing to shell out a lot of money, you could try Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0.
View Post

try reshack. http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Oh um... if that's not what you're looking for, try a hex editor. Or a C++ decompiler... that should be fun.

Mispeled, on Feb 3 2006, 03:56 AM, said:

Try opening up the Nova app itself in ResEdit and look at some of the DLOGs. 😉
View Post

Heh. I love finding stuff like that.

I'd like to point out a few things:

1. You can edit executables with a hex editor;
  2. Resources are still around but often stored in the data fork.