Target pics

I'm turning attention towards actually finishing an entire ship. I have the spins and hailing shot, but I am thinking about how to fill up a 128x64 space with a usable picture.

In the first two EV's, the target picture was a green screen that showed some tactical information about the ship that was targetted. In Nova, it became a red screen with something that looked like incomplete video interlacing overlaid on the target image sans tactical information.

I have my opinions on what I want to do, but what is the preferred method to fill this space amongst actual players? What is being used in other plug-ins in development? Is the picture worth investing time in, or just slapping a quick render with some post-rendering work done on it to make it look like EV?

Also, I have limited knowledge of how to change the sidebar, but I think that changing the size of the target pict may be possible. Is this true?

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Werhner,
a noted rocket scientist

David Arthur made a utility called NovaTarget, which takes the plain render and applies the proper effects to make it look like a Nova target graphic. It's available for Mac OS X and classic Mac OSes from the Nova Utilities page.

If you're not using a Mac, I'd say go ahead and try to figure out a way to get a similar result. Consistency with the other content with which it'll appear is important for a polished-seeming finished product.

That app is available for Windows:

Download Page

Well, there you go. 🙂

It's also available directly within Mission Computer.
You can change the size of the entire target area but I'm not sure you can change the size of the pict. Play around and find out 🙂

Guy, on Jan 27 2006, 08:03 PM, said:

It's also available directly within Mission Computer.
You can change the size of the entire target area but I'm not sure you can change the size of the pict. Play around and find out 🙂
View Post

I know for a fact that you can't change the target pict size, unfortunately. I've tested this several times.

Good luck. 🙂