Polaris Artist Wanted

I'm looking for an artist capable of modeling Polaris ships and graphics for Aftermath.
If you are interested in the position please read the instructions that follow below.

You are to reproduce the Polaris Manta as accurately and as true to Pipeline's original model as possible. Once you complete this we ask that you model this sketch based off of the Manta you've finished. Once you are done we ask that you render the original Manta and the new version with Front, Side, and Top views over a black background. Any further renders (scenes/movies) may be included, but are not mandatory.

All work submitted should also be emailed to me at: nique.anderson@gmail.com
There is no deadline, but work submitted sooner (sometime this year) rather than later is encouraged.

Feel free to share your work with the community as it progresses.

Any further questions can be addressed in this topic or emailed to me. Thank you.

This post has been edited by Nick Anderson : 26 November 2005 - 12:40 PM

I've got the geometry modeled.
I have to texture it yet, though.

Desprez, on Nov 26 2005, 08:05 PM, said:

I've got the geometry modeled.
I have to texture it yet, though.
View Post

Glad to hear it, I was hoping someone would step up the plate and start on a model. 😄

A few notes not included in the initial post.

You can submit mutliple versions of your work, however I strongly advise you only to send in your work in when it is final. That is to say it should be perfect in your eyes and completed to the best of your ability.

Secondly, I'm expecting a final ship. Running lights, glows, textures, the whole kaboodle should all be a part of your Manta remake and Manta revamped.

Sadly, I think it's going to be awhile before I have any complete models done.

I latched onto this thread because I'm just learning Maya, and this was as good as any arbitrary example of something to create for practice. Also, the model isn't that complex, and I have a clear understanding of how it would need to be done.

While I created the geometry pretty easily, (though, if I had to do it again, I would probably do it differently) I'm having a devil of a time trying to texture it.

It's just not working the way you would expect.

Maya is strange, and the interface is clunky. I'm not sure we will get along. There are plenty of things that just seem like they weren't thought out too well. Sometimes it seems like there are obvious ways it could have been improved, and I wonder why they aren't implimented. The whole thing seems like an afterthought.

Strangly, I keep hearing how good the Maya interface is. I wonder what these people are used to, and then I feel sorry for them.

So, I'm trying, but it's quite fustrating to fight this program at every turn.

Desprez, on Dec 3 2005, 05:26 PM, said:

Sadly, I think it's going to be awhile before I have any complete models done.

I latched onto this thread because I'm just learning Maya, and this was as good as any arbitrary example of something to create for practice. Also, the model isn't that complex, and I have a clear understanding of how it would need to be done.

While I created the geometry pretty easily, (though, if I had to do it again, I would probably do it differently) I'm having a devil of a time trying to texture it.
View Post

Might I suggest bringing your work to this topic's twin? This topic has artists posting their work already, you might be able to find some help with texturing the model. Also posting your model for comparison would be cool. Give it some thought.