Data loss + big Mac-PC problem

Resource names change when converted?

Recently, I discovered 9 crön resources had disappeared from the latest version of ARPIA2 I had. They were in a former version, but seemed to have vanished when being saved for the latter version.

After I'd copied them back, and saved the plug, all was fine. Until, one day later, two more cröns had vanished.

I had enough of this data loss, so I separated my ARPIA2 Data file into two files, on top of the already existing ARPIA2 Graphics & Ships files. This meant my ARPIA2 Data 1 no longer contained over 1400 resources, but 1127, and is only 1.8 Mb instead of the former 6 something.
But now, I've just seen that one dësc has gone missing!!

Does anyone have an explanation?

(I'm also reporting this to David Arthur, in case it's linked to MC)

EDIT: New problem has come forth in all hatefulness!

Now, apparently, the s˙st and wëap names are completely messed up in the converted .rez version! Here is an example:

syst 208 Nil'kvee
syst 212 Tri'niphu
syst 215 
syst 216 
syst 237 
syst 324 
syst 356 
syst 373 `@
syst 414 @
syst 420 
syst 437 
syst 439 
syst 452 
syst 468 ëdAlt;GM
syst 472 t;GM

Anyone have an explanation?

This post has been edited by Pace (haldora) : 20 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

This seems to be what happened to my Nova Graphics 3. Maybe it's a plague. Keep your plug-ins inside the house, people. Away from the Black Manticores.

New problem come forth, see first post.

With all the bugs and worms injected by universal internet prats into our systems it could just be a virus, or it could be one of the manny "fun" programming errors in the Nova system. Did you say it was a converted from mac. Hmm. I heard David Arthur mention something about the max ammount of info a mac can carry in a Nova file, maybe there's a PC error like this. I dunno.

Sylvanus, on Aug 20 2005, 03:40 PM, said:

With all the bugs and worms injected by universal internet prats into our systems it could just be a virus, or it could be one of the manny "fun" programming errors in the Nova system. Did you say it was a converted from mac. Hmm. I heard David Arthur mention something about the max ammount of info a mac can carry in a Nova file, maybe there's a PC error like this. I dunno.
View Post

Since it's on a Mac I highly doubt it's a virus or worm.

Could the names use characters that won't properly encode on a PC? Also, are you using the convertor that comes with PC Nova or something like EVONE to do the conversion. If you are using one i'd suggest trying the other just to see if that has some effect.

The Real Darth Bob, on Aug 21 2005, 07:50 AM, said:

Also, are you using the convertor that comes with PC Nova or something like EVONE to do the conversion. If you are using one i'd suggest trying the other just to see if that has some effect.
View Post

Yep, I'll try using the second option this time.

Do make sure that you always edit a copy of your work, not the original. Once you've confirmed changes, back up that work file, make a copy, and never touch the original again.

Ideally, you should have daily builds that you fall back on at any time.

Dave

And back up your work too. No point having lots of saved work on the same drive as your current work to make sure you don't lose it if you have a hard drive failure.

Did that make sense?

Okay, I'm very glad now, because David Arthur has solved the problems for me in the latest MC beta 🙂
Basically, Kern Rules!