Controlling outfit prices

so how would you do it

Has anyone figured out a way for outfits to be different prices on different planets?

The best involves a system I was originally usign for something else (namely ship insurance).

Every outfit has an onbuy that grants a set of outfits in proportion to is price (ie an outfit for 1000 cr, one for 10,000 et cetera, so a weapon that cost 35000 would have G0 G0 G0 G1 G1 G1 G1 G1). When the ship was destroyed with insurance, a cron would remove every value item (these are persistant) and refund the player accordingly.

Crons could also be used at the moment of purchase to refund the player then, based on bits that were set by landing on the planet/entering the system. I could add a mutable bit to the description and change the word "cost" or "price" or whatever to "base price", with a little note saying something like "This reactor coil is so simple and straightforward, the mass production on Rauther has cut the price to nearly half of the generally accepted base. After only a few minutes of bargaining, the vendor is willing to settle for nearly 200 thousand less than the million it would cost you on other planets".

Then, when you buy it, it costs 1 mill, but an invisible mission removes the outfits and gives you a refund.

The counter points would be that the player would still need 1 mill to buy it, but that almost makes sense. You need the cash to back yourself up in the bargaining.

What do you guys think? Other than the fact that it would be nice if ranks could give you discounts in outfitters.

Anyone have a better method for making stuff cheaper on the big planets?

Make different outfits, all blank with different prices, but all giving you one normal outfit plus one of each of the others:

example:
say you want three prices.
Make outfits a, b and c, never showing up together in one outfitter, that are all the "cover" for purchasing outfit d.
If you buy a, you get one b, one c and one d (and the same applies to b and c).
If you sell a, you lose one b, one c and one d (and the same applies to b and c).

This post has been edited by Pace (haldora) : 16 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

NebuchadnezzaR, on Aug 16 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

What do you guys think? Other than the fact that it would be nice if ranks could give you discounts in outfitters.

View Post

Ahh, they can 😄

From the bible, on ranks:

PriceMod Used to modify the prices of items and ships at planets owned by
the affiliated government. A value of 100 equals 100% of original
price (i.e. prices are unchanged). Higher or lower values raise
or lower the prices correspondingly. (can be used to let
distinguished players get special deals on ships and items at
"friendly" planets that have granted them the rank)

Though it's a govt thing, not a spob thing.

Hope it helps.

Ephialtes, on Aug 16 2005, 09:38 AM, said:

Ahh, they can 😄

From the bible, on ranks:

PriceMod Used to modify the prices of items and ships at planets owned by
the affiliated government. A value of 100 equals 100% of original
price (i.e. prices are unchanged). Higher or lower values raise
or lower the prices correspondingly. (can be used to let
distinguished players get special deals on ships and items at
"friendly" planets that have granted them the rank)

Though it's a govt thing, not a spob thing.

Hope it helps.
View Post

No they can't. We here at the Dev corner have decided that the phrase "items and ships" means "ships and . . . ships". Test it yourself.

Pace (haldora) has a good idea, but I can't afford to waste that many outfits. Mine uses up to about 5 total, his (or yours... depending on whos reading this) multiplies the number of outfits by how many different prices you want. While I do find it very elegant that each outfit has a purpose, and that selling works so nicely, it simply wastes too many outfits. But selling... that works so much better. Its a tough call. Too bad it wouldnt be cost effective to mix them (as mine wastes a certain number of outfits regardless of total number of outfits you want variable prices for).

(note, you dont need outfit D. Just make the sum of A, B and C do what you want. And make sure only one has a lcname/lcplural field filled in, for the ship info. Each still needs its own desc and picture, of course. Oh... you do need a seperate outfit with +1 availmass to add to cancel out the fact that all three outfits weight the same. Its a simple matter to figure out how many you need, and every outfit that is handled in the same way can use it.)

I think the deciding factor is that for mine I could have 4 or 5 different prices for only 20ish crons (twice that for selling) and 4 outfits. But both have their place.

This post has been edited by NebuchadnezzaR : 16 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

NebuchadnezzaR, on Aug 16 2005, 08:55 PM, said:

No they can't. We here at the Dev corner have decided that the phrase "items and ships" means "ships and . . . ships". Test it yourself.
View Post

I never knew that. I must have missed that memo.

You could do that with your progressively decaying carbon fiber outfits.

Has the discount bug been submitted?

Guy, on Aug 16 2005, 04:43 PM, said:

Has the discount bug been submitted?
View Post

Yes, it was reported in the BugFest '05 thread and pipeline added it to the official bug report list.

The Apple Cřre, on Aug 16 2005, 06:58 PM, said:

You could do that with your progressively decaying carbon fiber outfits.
View Post

?