Orbiting Planet That Moves Every Month

but crön events are outsmarting me...

I'm trying to make the Earth move to a different sector of space based on the month. There are twelve sectors, and they are arranged in a circle as the face of a clock. I made 24 systems, two for each position, one with the planet and one without, and set up their visbits to be mutually exclusive.

I made 12 cröns, each of which could only fire in one particular month, all of which would fire 100% of the time they could, and which sequentially set and unset a series of bits from b1620 to b1631.

That is, the "January" crön fires 100% of the time when it's January and when b1621 is not set. On firing it sets b1621 and clears b1620, making the 12-o'clock s˙st lose its planet and the 1-o'clock s˙st gain a planet. The "February" crön fires in February when b1622 is not set and on firing sets b1622 and clears b1621, making the 1-o'clock s˙st lose its planet and the 2-o'clock s˙st gain a planet. And so on, each crön firing in a particular month when a particular bit is not set sets that bit and clears the previous month's bit.

I even made asteroids most plentiful in the 8- and 12-o'clock s˙sts for August (Perseid) and December (Geminid) meteor showers. The only problem is, the s˙sts go all wacky. They start off with no planets in any of them, and then planets start showing up in all of them at once, and I can't figure out where I went wrong.

And advice?

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 08 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

That's insane, you know how many planets a guy like me I would have to make? that'd about quadruple, Nova wont run well either I assume with that many planet pictures being used.

This post has been edited by Matthew Walk : 08 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

Have you the other topics about rotating systems? There's some great in-depth discussions about how you can do it and what problems you might have.

Make sure that the visbits for the systems containing earth are also mutually exclusive. I cant diagnose the problem without the plug other than to say that Matt Walk really just made everything in his post up.

The weirdest problem arising from this is that when the pilot file is loaded and the player is landed on earth, he will start up in ... i believe the one oclock system if i understand your implementation correctly. Whichever system has the lowest id and contains earth. Edwards has a remarkably brilliant solution to this, its probably linked in the clever nova hacks thread. I wont go into it, but im sure it works.

The thing that bugs me... what happens when you are in the one oclock system on december 31? Assuming earth is at 12 at that moment.. how do you get there? by the time you jump , the planet will have moved and you will have to jump back to where you were.

If you dont care about things like that, then ignore it. Its minor and probably wont occur during normal gameplay anyway.