Animated Directional Weapon Shots

I'm going to have to use a different submunition for each frame, aren't I?

...pretty much...

As far as I know.

Unless you use a fighter with 0 turn rate and a short-range weapon that kills it either on firing or on detonation, but that won't really work well. So yeah, what you said.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 02 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Weapons that recursively submunit into eachother (1>2>1 etc) don't work because the sublimit only applies if the weapon submunits into itself. The game crashes if one weapon submunits into an other weapon that submunits back because it tries to calculate the maximum range of every weapon in the game as it loads (so the AI figure out when to fire em, etc).

One thing you might want to look into is smoke trails, but that definately has very limited usability. What sorts of animations are we talking about?

Depending on the type of animation in question, it might be possible to make a single weapon with looping graphics that looks good traveling in any direction.

For example, if you want a stick figure to run toward your target, make the weapon's frames be a stick figure running around in a circle, and then whatever direction you fire it the stick figure will run that way in a spiral pattern.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Aug 2 2005, 12:33 PM, said:

Weapons that recursively submunit into eachother (1>2>1 etc) don't work because the sublimit only applies if the weapon submunits into itself. The game crashes if one weapon submunits into an other weapon that submunits back because it tries to calculate the maximum range of every weapon in the game as it loads (so the AI figure out when to fire em, etc).

That shouldn't be too much of an issue. With it's current non-directional animation, it only seems to go through one cycle before it reaches maximum range, anyhow.

Oh, i see, so its not recursive. Yeah, just use the 5 or 6 or whatever different weapons linked to one another in order. That should be enough.