Afterburner-only ships

Technically, I meant real as in "not hacked together within the game," but a homemade afterburner is just cool. Whats EGT?

NebuchadnezzaR, on May 17 2005, 02:00 PM, said:

Technically, I meant real as in "not hacked together within the game," but a homemade afterburner is just cool. Whats EGT?
View Post

Er... y-yeah! I knew that... >.>

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

This post has been edited by Cade : 17 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

rmx, here's an interesting test dfor you: See if the fading happens no matter what or if it's based on acceleration. I have a sinking feeling it's acceleration, which would mean if you jack up the acceleration way high, it should work that way. Unfortunately, this means it won't accelerate and will just lurch forward, unless that's the effect you were looking for.

The brightness of engine flares depends on the ship's current speed. If you go slowly they'll appear dim and if you go fast they'll appear bright. So yes, it does depend how quickly you can reach top speed. Of course they'll always flicker no matter how fast you go.

Wait, but arent they off when you are at top speed if you are cruising in an inertiafull ship? Theres a funny non-real method of determining their brightness... it might be something as mundane as 10% the first frame you are accelerating 20%the next, et cetera. For inertialess ships, of course, it is dependent on current speed (as proportional to top.)

Oh yeah, that's only for inertialess ships. I've tested that for other ships it doesn't relate to the ship's acceleration, rather it probably just takes a certain preset amount of time to reach max intensity as neb suggests.

It's very important for me to not have flickering flares...

yep. Thats why god invented weapon sprites.

Won't work that way... Needs to be tied into the engine flares. Very few thngs are going to make Kemet 'special' and this is the big kicker. I have to have flares that are instant on, and I will now experiment. I'll let you guys know the results.

Its... simply... not... possible. Well.. what of a normal top speed with 0 accel?