Developer Appreciation Day

I think it's a good idea!

In leu (SP?) of the recent squabble over the insensetivity of Commodore Danke, I think it could be a good idea to start a little tradition of Developer's Appreciation Day, to show how much these boards really DO appreciate the ideas of everybody, to show how much Commodore was wrong about his accusations.

Like today, it could be the day after Mother's Day, a day in which we celebrate the female figure who developed us both biologically as well as maturity.

Developer's Appreciation Day will be a day where we congradulate, applaud and appreciate all developers in our EV world, from the great and almighty ATMOS team and Matt Burch, down to the little guys who are just fiddling with their first plug-in. They all have a creative will and talent that should be honored, appreciated and applauded.

Thank you, developers, one and all! You help keep the EV universe alive to us for many years to come, as well as having brought it to us in the first place! Thank you!

This post has been edited by Fnoigy : 09 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Every day of my life I recognise those who have created something that was not there before.

Perhaps it would be nice for a day to do it outwardly.

I don't like giving myself a pat on the back, but I fully support and worship anyone and everyone who steps back to create new stuffs.

It's "lieu", but I have no idea how it's used in English In French, one says "Au lieu de" for instead, and I suppose "In lieu of" would be the correct form then for what you wish to say

Anyway, as much as the idea is a good one, I would not like to have a "Developer's Day" for a few reasons.

First of all, for the simple reason that I disagree with the need for such outward, temporary appreciation. Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, International Women's Day, Valentine's Day, , I find them all pointless, for in truth you should not think of such matters one day of the year but all year round. In reality, many do not even think of such matters until the day in question, where they are all nice and thoughtful, but forget about it the next day (thinks about examples to do with each day mentioned above). How much hypocrisy can you reach?
And anyway, there isn't even an International Men's Day to compare with the feminine one, yet we preach equality?
(won't say any more on the subject because I know that in reality, many people would be lost without those days society would forget, sadly enough.
and on a side-note, this criticism only applies to such events that are completely artificial. dates like the Saints Days, Christmas Eve and Day, Easter, Good Friday, periods like Ramadan and Lent, , all those I feel serve a true purpose. But "international day of this or that" is proposterous in my opinion)

Secondly, if I were an EVN Dev, I wouldn't like to be thanked just the once, even less thanked by force It's always better when appreciation comes spontaneously.
To illustrate, look at the topics there were on the EVN board a month ago and a few months back. Those were topics of appreciation. They were spontaneous. And it holds much more warmth than a "Developers' Day" where suddenly everyone says "thanks".

If you set a "Developer Appreciation Day", you won't make the boards any more appreciative.
If you don't set it and let the community just live on, then you'll see more "thanks" topics than comments on any "D.A.D." (cool acronym 😉 ).

Of course, this mostly concerns the ATMOS and mburch part.
When it comes to plug-in developers, I can assure you (from experience) that it is very rewarding to receive e-mails from other people congratulating you on your plug, thanking you for the effort you poured into it, and comments on the forums saying "you should try this plug".
Spontaneous thanking is better than any kind of thanks.

Yours truly,

Pace, a fellow developer

Pace (haldora), on May 9 2005, 10:23 AM, said:

First of all, for the simple reason that I disagree with the need for such outward, temporary appreciation. Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, International Women's Day, Valentine's Day, , I find them all pointless, for in truth you should not think of such matters one day of the year but all year round.
View Post

I admit it. I don't think about St. Valentine for 364 days of the year (365 on leap years). Of course, even on the day named for him, I don't heap praises upon him. Instead, on the 14th of February each year, I verbalize my appreciation of Al Capone. 🆒

Good point, Pace. (On a side-note, I actually did once start a topic about simply thanking ATMOS and ASW for all the work they put into Nova, I think it was around a time when there was some uproar going on in a "what should have been in EVN" sort of topic)

I like the idea.

My $0.02; this idea is a bit odd. Especially since it's usually Plug-in Developers and Would-be-Developers who come by this forum.

(Off topic) Reading through this reminded me of last June 30th. For most of the day, nobody even remembered who's birthday it was.

Fnoigy, on May 9 2005, 09:48 AM, said:

Thank you, developers, one and all! You help keep the EV universe alive to us for many years to come, as well as having brought it to us in the first place! Thank you!
View Post

robot voice you're... welcome... clank clank

=Divals

I know that I saw an EV Nova Appreciation topic a couple of months ago. It's just that the search engine couldn't find it.

Thanks very much for a Pyro-GX, Arpia, and a few others.