"8"

MissionComputers

Umm yeah, every now and then whenver I open a plug-in through MC, I keep getting this blasted empty resource whos ID is 8 to suddenly appear at random either in the misn, or the desc. It gets annoying to have to delete it everytime. It's worse, if it doesn't go away when I delete it, I'd have to either put something in it, and then delete it, or if I get a error message upon pressing the delete button, I have to select another resource fork, then come back just to see that it has disappeared.

Is there an explanation to this? Could this be a bug (an 8 bug) that was overlooked.

It's a bug that will just rename one resource to "8" and nothing more, but if you click on another resource section and then come back again, it will have disappeared.
Don't delete it or you will lose the resource it was. Just click on another section and come back again, and the resource that got changed to "8" will be back in its original place.

I'm presently working on MissionComputer 3.1 - can you give me any screenshots of this, or an example of a plug-in which produces the problem?

Here you go.

David Arthur, on Mar 10 2005, 12:09 AM, said:

I'm presently working on MissionComputer 3.1 - can you give me any screenshots of this, or an example of a plug-in which produces the problem?
View Post

Will 3.1 fix the error when you try to save sometimes and it loses your resources?

And... assuming the update adds RLED support, could you also tack cicn and ppat on as well?

I want a way to draw my own interference that isnt too much trouble.

Gah, maybe I should jot down more wishlist for the MC updates if everyone is wanting to post their wishlist as well.

/me tries to remember any changes he wanted

Coraxus, on Mar 9 2005, 08:23 PM, said:

Here you go.
View Post

How often does it happen - occasionally, all the time, under certain circumstances? Is it specific to any particular plug-in, or does it happen with everything?

Guy, on Mar 9 2005, 11:29 PM, said:

Will 3.1 fix the error when you try to save sometimes and it loses your resources?
View Post

The problem with that is that the code responsible for saving resources hasn't changed since long before the issue started occurring. I've added some new safeguards in version 3.1, and I have a few other ideas I may try as well. My old group of testers have a beta version at the moment, but I'm thinking of also having a public beta in order to get it more fully tested (so often people seem strangely unwilling to actually report bugs, or for some reason assume that I must already know about them).

NebuchadnezzaR, on Mar 10 2005, 01:16 AM, said:

And... assuming the update adds RLED support, could you also tack cicn and ppat on as well?View Post

At the moment I'm focussing on a fairly simple 3.1 update, in order to get out some fixes, though there may be a few new features as well. As far as the future goes, MissionComputer will never edit rlëDs - I looked at them, and the amount of work involved would be ridiculously large given that EnRLE works perfectly well, and is free and Mac OS X-native. cicn and ppat I may look at some time; I don't know offhand how complicated the resource formats are. At present I have a partially-completed editor for cölr, which will likely be the only new resource in 3.1.

David Arthur, on Mar 10 2005, 06:18 PM, said:

How often does it happen - occasionally, all the time, under certain circumstances? Is it specific to any particular plug-in, or does it happen with everything?

I'd say about maybe 30% to 40% (maybe 50%) of the time that I open up a plug-in with MC whether it's dragging the plug-in on to the app or prompting the dialog window and selecting which to open. And this seems to happen with medium or large sized plug-ins, particularly with those having lots of mission and desc resources.

Another thought: is it always the first resource that it happens to? And have you ever seen it in the Resource Selector dialogue (the one you get when you press the ' ' button next to a field that takes an ID number)? Does it only appear when you first open the file, or does it come up after you've been working on the file for a while?

I think I will (though probably not until I'm a little less busy) start exploring alternate resource frameworks again...

Coraxus, on Mar 10 2005, 11:24 PM, said:

I'd say about maybe 30% to 40% (maybe 50%) of the time that I open up a plug-in with MC whether it's dragging the plug-in on to the app or prompting the dialog window and selecting which to open. And this seems to happen with medium or large sized plug-ins, particularly with those having lots of mission and desc resources.
View Post

I just had the same thing happen and my plug wasn't medium or large sized. It had a mission, 2 descs, and a STR#. It was one of the descs that it happened to.

David Arthur, on Mar 11 2005, 03:04 AM, said:

Another thought: is it always the first resource that it happens to? And have you ever seen it in the Resource Selector dialogue (the one you get when you press the ' ' button next to a field that takes an ID number)? Does it only appear when you first open the file, or does it come up after you've been working on the file for a while?

I think I will (though probably not until I'm a little less busy) start exploring alternate resource frameworks again...
View Post

It randomly happens to resources. What happens is that if you open it up, you lose the info. So if you just leave and come back into the resource type in question, you won't have lost anything.
It can happen to the file you've been working on or to another, but my experience is that it happens mostly to other resources within the same resource type.
I have mostly seen it happen to mďsn resources, but that's perhaps because it's what I use by far the most

So here's what happens to me in the different stages (if "8" appears):
- edit resource y of x resource type (mostly mďsn)
- close the editing pannel
- "8" resource appears at the top of the list, and z resource is no more there
- if I open it up, change its info, , I will get a blank resource
- if I don't open it up and just click again on "mďsn" after leaving the resource listing dialog, "8" has disappeared and z has reappeared with all its info

This post has been edited by Pace (haldora) : 11 March 2005 - 01:46 AM

So, it's not necessarily the specific resource that you just edited that gets misread? It can be another?

And does it always happen when you're leaving an editor window, or has it ever appeared when you've just opened the plug-in?

The way MissionComputer behaves once the dud resource has appeared makes perfect sense (it's trying to open a resource that doesn't exist); what I'm trying to figure out is where it comes from in the first place.

It only appears whenever I open up an existing plug-in.

David Arthur, on Mar 11 2005, 11:18 PM, said:

So, it's not necessarily the specific resource that you just edited that gets misread? It can be another?

And does it always happen when you're leaving an editor window, or has it ever appeared when you've just opened the plug-in?

The way MissionComputer behaves once the dud resource has appeared makes perfect sense (it's trying to open a resource that doesn't exist); what I'm trying to figure out is where it comes from in the first place.
View Post

It can be another, and I can't recall seeing the edited resource be misread. But that's perhaps because of the total number of resources I use (pretty big).

I myself have never encountered it upon opening a plug, only once in a while after editing a resource.

I've also noticed, that other than having it show or not show up whenever I open an existing plug-in, but when it does, if I close without making any changes, sometimes it may ask if I want to save changes, and other times, I'm able to close as if I really never did make any changes to it.

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 12 March 2005 - 12:50 PM